Forum rules - please read before posting.

Skip dialogue speech subtitles completely?

edited December 2020 in Technical Q&A

What layers do Speech during gameplay can also be skipped? and Display speech forever untill user skips it ? take in Speech Manager?

I click on a charcter, dialogue starts, subtitles appear and stay forever till I click on the screen anywhere to continue to another dialogue speech subtitle. That's fine, I want this.

But how to skip the entire dialogue completely, instead of keep clicking on the screen till the entire dialogue with subtitles is over.

I have made an interaction that does it for me and linked it to Subtitles menu Skip Button.
It does work but I'd have to uncheck Speech during gameplay can also be skipped?
But if I do this then subtitles stay forever and can't be skipped to then next subtitles speech.

In other words my Skip Button in menu Subtitles doesn't take mouse clicks but I can see it can hover on and off (sprite changes) when Display speech forever untill user skips it ? is checked.

I want to keep Speech during gameplay can also be skipped? and Display speech forever untill user skips it ? checked and be able to click on my Skip Button in menu Subtitles to skip dialogue completely.
AC 1.50f

Thank you and Happy New Year everyone!

Comments

• The various "skip" options in the Speech Manager all relate to individual lines.

If you want to skip an entire cutscene, make sure your ActionList is marked as "Is Skippable?" and invoke the "EndCutscene" input.

• I'm confused a bit. Also in my last post my pictures that I linked disappeared.

Which Actionlist? The one that is linked to my Skip Button in menu Subtitles - it's an asset Interaction. You mean set it to Pause Game instead of Run In background and set Is Skippable? It does nothing.
    The one that is in the scene and does all the Dialogue actions ? it simply hides the cursor.

My Skip Button in menu Subtitles is blocked by ( I guess) the layer of Display speech forever untill user skips it ? of Speech manager. That takes all clicks and make the speech/subtitles continue.
    Dialogue starts, subtitles appear and stay forever untill I click on the screen anywhere to continue to another dialogue speech subtitle. That's fine, I want this.

But I can't click on Skip Button in menu Subtitles, I can see the mouse can hover on and off but it doesn't take clicks with Display speech forever untill user skips it ? of Speech manager checked, but I want it to be checked, I want AC feature to keep subtitles forever till player clicks somewhere on the screen but I want to be able to click on my Skip Button in menu Subtitles if I want to skip the entire dialogue and I can't.

• By "skip the entire dialogue", you're referring to the entire chain of speech Actions - and not just a single line?

For that, you need to skip the ActionList itself - not the speech. This is done by invoking the "EndCutscene" input.

The "Is skippable?" option I'm referring to is the one on the ActionList you wish to skip - i.e. the one with all the speech Actions - not the asset you've attached to your SkipDialogue button.

Putting aside the Button for the moment create a new Input named EndCutscene and map it to e.g. the Tab key. Press it while a skippable ActionList is running and it should end it - is this the behaviour you're looking to map to a button?

• edited December 2020

Yes, that's what I want. Only keep all the Gui's visible, because "Is skippable?" and Pause Gameplay hide them and it also hides mouse. And I want to skip the entire dialogue actionlist with mouse click on Skip Button.
    But I want to keep AC's feature skipping/moving to the next dialogue lines/subtitles with a mouse click anywhere on the screen, that comes with Speech during gameplay can also be skipped? and Display speech forever untill user skips it ? in Speech Manager.

I went through the forums once again and found this:
    https://adventurecreator.org/forum/discussion/4302/skip-actionlist-button

So I made a prefabed UI Skip Button and linked it to SkipDialogue actionlist that can end the Dialogue actionlist.
    It appears beneath the AC subtitles. And I know you explained that AC Gui's are always drawn on top of UI. It's ok I can leave my UI Skip Button empty .

And now when I click on my UI Skip Button it sort of ends the entire actionlist speech/subtitles dialogue but only on mouse up, since AC still eats on mouse down and still goes through dialogue's speeches with each click.

• Only keep all the Gui's visible, because "Is skippable?" and Pause Gameplay hide them and it also hides mouse.

You can only skip cutscenes that block gameplay, so it'll be a case of altering your Menus. If they currently have an Appear type of During Gameplay, they'll need setting to something else to keep them visible during cutscenes.

In the current release, you can set this to Except When Paused. But in older releases, you'll have to make do with Manual and manually turn menus on/off as required.

To show the mouse during cutscenes, assign a cursror graphic in the Cursor Manager's "Wait cursor" field.

AC still eats on mouse down and still goes through dialogue's speeches with each click.

So you're using a custom script attached to your own Unity UI Button?

Try giving the script a negative Script Execution Order value so that it is called before AC every update.

A mouse click can be consumed - to prevent AC from using it in the same frame - by calling:

AC.KickStarter.playerInput.ResetMouseClick ();

• edited December 2020

I don't use a custom script on my UI Skip Button, it is linked to AC actionlist SkipDialogue.

I don't think it matters if I link my UI Skip Button to a custom script since the UI Skip Button doesn't take OnMouseDown clicks at all, because Speech during gameplay can also be skipped? and Display speech forever untill user skips it ? in Speech Manager take them first.
    (but I want to keep Speech during gameplay can also be skipped? and Display speech forever untill user skips it ? )

The whatever AC thing that takes the whole screen space during the subtitles and make click anywhere to skip subtitles one by one, layers itself above my UI Skip Button.

• If you don't want the button to be unclickable to due AC consuming the click elsewhere, don't link it to the Menu Manager.

Keep it in the prefab but remove its linking in the Menu Manager - then attach a custom script that contains the following function:

public void SkipCutscene ()
    {
        AC.KickStarter.actionListManager.EndCutscene ();
    }

Use the Button's click events to have it trigger the component's SkipCutscene function.

Again, though, it is only possible to skip cutscenes - not ActionLists that do not block gameplay.

• edited December 2020

Excellent! That's what I want. I already have actionlists that take of ending all dialogues ready anyway. Just wanted to get my UI Skip Button take clicks.
    Thank you for clarifying everything Chris .