Forum rules - please read before posting.

Check previous scene bug in Windows build?

edited December 2014 in Engine development
I have a scene in my project which has two entrances, and therefore on the "room enter" cutscene I check for the previous scene. The engine check scene action works fine for this most of the time, and in fact I have no problems when testing it out in the editor.

However, in one of my Windows builds, there is a problem when entering the scene from the "second" room, and I get this message in the log:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at AC.AssetLoader.RetrieveAsset[AnimationClip] (UnityEngine.AnimationClip originalFile, Int32 _ID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at AC.RememberNPC.LoadData (AC.NPCData data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at AC.LevelStorage.UnloadNPCData (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 _npcs) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at AC.LevelStorage.ReturnCurrentLevelData () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at AC.SceneSettings.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Now, what is strange about this is that the room enter cutscene has a third scene parameter to check for, which is an intermediate scene of sorts. So for clarity, let's say I have scene 1, 2, 3 and 4. Scene 2 can be entered from scenes 1 and 4, and while in scene 2 you can flash to scene 3 and then back to scene 2. 

In the Windows build, entering from scenes 1 and 3 seem to work perfectly fine. The actionlist runs as intended. But then entering from scene 4 causes the above error. Again, this is only in the build (I haven't tested Mac yet). Any idea what may cause this?

Comments

• From these error messages, I think the "Engine: Check scene" Action might be a red herring.  This is to do with an NPC's animations not being properly retrieved.

Open up Scripts/Static/AssetLoader.cs, and insert the following into the top of the RetrieveAsset function (line 39):

if
     (originalFile == null)
    {
      return null;
    }

If that works, I'll include it in 1.41.
  • Ah thanks, this worked! FYI adding this code  also changed a few of my Engine: Check Scene actions to Engine: Change Scene actions (not sure why it did this in one scene but not any others), but after I fixed that it seems to work perfectly!

Thanks as always!