Forum rules - please read before posting.

MOLD (working title)

edited December 2014 in Games showcase
Hi everybody!

It took almost forever to get to this point ;) , but here it is... our first gameplay video:

if you are interested, there is quite a lot of background info on the production blog:
https://moldgame.wordpress.com

if facebook is your thing: (especially if you have a "Like" to spare ;) )
https://www.facebook.com/moldgame

made with Unity pro, AC and playmaker, I hope you like it (critiques/inputs are always welcome!)

last but not least, Thanks Chris! AC made it all possible, I wouldn't have dared to start with unity without it. Kudos!

Comments

• Ridiculously impressive atmosphere, great work!  I was going to ask about your lighting set up, but I'll wade through your blog first.
  • i really love this game its look perfect great art
  • thanks guys! ;)

About the lighting.... the set is created in softimage/zbrush/3dcoat and was rendered (seperated in about 20 depth layers) in 10K resolution with arnold(solid angle). Which took on my 3 licenses about 2 weeks (jeez ;) the "main" pass (just the one frame) took about 5 days alone)

It gets comped and baked to nicely UVed lowres geo in several 2K tiles... and the unity scene has additional realtime lights / color corrections to fuse everything together (which is still not perfect, yet)
  • Wow, it looks a movie! I like the camera movement, great job!!! ;)
  • thanks! i really appreciate it :)
  • So impressive, indeed, there's a real movie quality. Animation inside makes it so alive °^° (like all the ants moving around, or that silly and great idea to get the main character above an insect in order to move). No wonder why the render took so long.
    'goin to check all your articles, I will spend a great afternoon I think 8D
  • possibly the best looking game i've ever seen... inspiring stuff. good luck with the project!
  • Thumbs up! great work there!

And really good dev reading on your blog, thank you about that :)
  • thanks everybody! ;) it's great to get some feedback (after spending years under a rock ;) ) appreciate it!
  • Wow a really amazing looking game, great job! Can't wait to play.
  • Terrific Stuff.   Keep up the Great work!

Cheers
    Paul
  • impressed by frog's eyes
  • edited February 2015
    paulblacklockBramlet

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately the production stalled heavily in the last month, I was dragged from one gig to the next (in my non-indie life ;) )  i'm currently back at doing art-related stuff, so i didn't touch unity in more than a month except once when i recently updated AC.

but we'll get there... some day ;)
  • I'm interested in how you have the camera follow the pointer as well as the player.

Is that a Playmaker feature, an AC setting (which I may have missed) or is it something you did custom?

Really liking the fast pace too. I'd LOVE to take a look at a snapshot of your interactions settings :)
  • it's an AC feature (inside ACs camera settings) "Follow Cursor" i think.. great feature, but it brings a few minor gameplay issues (its a little bit harder to hit a hotbox when the cursor affects the camera... but its a small price to pay ;) )

nothing special with the interaction settings.... it was a real pain though to setup the dynamics with friction and mass.. and everything affected the pathfinding (it got buggy with "wrong" settings).. what a pain it was ;)
  • Incredible work. Love the camera and render work. AAA.

• Absolutely fantastic!
    Is this 2.5D (2D rendered images in layers) or is this actually 3D with those res texures?

• wicked!!, Loved it