Forum rules - please read before posting.

Useful Tutorials for creating a LucasArts style game.

Hi guys!

I have had adventure creator on my computer for a while now, but have only just managed to find the time to begin even thinking about making my game idea on the program. I have taken a look at the youtube tutorial below but was wondering if there were any other videos out there to check out. I struggle with mental health and my attention/focus and it would help to see some other tutorials of the process of making a 2D style game if there are any out there. (Of course I am not saying this tutorial is bad or insufficient, but merely that sometimes other factors can help it to sink in more for me.)

I was also wondering about things such as aspect ratio and resolution when it comes to wanting the sprites and background elements to have a pixel style to them.

Kindest Regards,

boyblue80

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @boyblue80.

As an alternative to the video tutorial, text tutorials are available that may be easier to get started with, since each covers only a small part of the process.

The Manual's "Preparing a 2D scene" chapters also cover the various components that make up a 2D scene. Though naturally, feel free to post in Technical Q&A if you have specific questions when getting set up.

Specific to Lucasarts-style games, there is a "Nine verbs template" package over on the Downloads page that should help you get up and running. However, I'd recommend getting yourself familiar with the way AC works "vanilla" first, since any add-on package will add to the complexity.

I was also wondering about things such as aspect ratio and resolution when it comes to wanting the sprites and background elements to have a pixel style to them.

The old classics would typically have a fixed aspect ratio / resolution based on the artwork, i.e. 1.33 for 320x240. You can enforce your game's aspect ratio in the Settings Manager's "Camera settings" panel, but for more modern games you may wish to allow for wider aspects and widen your (non-interactive) background art for those with widescreens.

As a non-artist, I'm not best suited to suggest what specific resolution / pixel size to go with, but as that's not a topic specific to AC, you may find that the Unity forums have resources on that.