Forum rules - please read before posting.

"The script class needs to derive from ScriptableObject"

I've successfully added buttons to AC menus approximately a bazillion times, but Unity is suddenly deciding to take exception, and I'm getting these errors when I try to add button elements to AC menus. The error only flags on buttons; I could add a label just fine.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
AC.MenuManager.AddElement (System.String className, AC.Menu _menu) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/MenuManager.cs:593)
AC.MenuManager.CreateElementsGUI (AC.Menu _menu) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/MenuManager.cs:485)
AC.MenuManager.ShowGUI () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/MenuManager.cs:187)
AC.AdventureCreator.OnGUI () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/Editor/AdventureCreator.cs:320)

Instance of MenuButton couldn't be created. The the script class needs to derive from ScriptableObject.
UnityEngine.ScriptableObject:CreateInstance (string)
AC.MenuManager:AddElement (string,AC.Menu) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/MenuManager.cs:592)
AC.MenuManager:CreateElementsGUI (AC.Menu) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/MenuManager.cs:485)
AC.MenuManager:ShowGUI () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/MenuManager.cs:187)
AC.AdventureCreator:OnGUI () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/Editor/AdventureCreator.cs:320)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

I'm running Unity 2020.3.13f1 (I updated specifically to see if that would alleviate things)
and Adventure Creator v1.73.8

I've tried restarting Unity and my computer a few times to no avail. Any advice would be highly welcome!

Comments

• It could be that you have another script or class in your project that shares the same name, "MenuButton".

Try this potential fix: open up MenuManager.cs, and replace the line around 592:

MenuElement newElement = (MenuElement) CreateInstance (className);

with:

MenuElement newElement = (MenuElement) CreateInstance ("AC." + className);

Does that resolve it?

• That was it precisely. Per your suggestion, I see now that another recently-added plugin included the file MenuButton.cs, and that created the conflict.

Everything's humming along now; thank you so much!