Forum rules - please read before posting.

SerializationException problem

So I upgraded to unity 4.6.1 and now I'm getting this error:

SerializationException: serializationStream supports seeking, but its length is 0
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.NoCheckDeserialize (System.IO.Stream serializationStream, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.HeaderHandler handler) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary/BinaryFormatter.cs:155)
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize (System.IO.Stream serializationStream) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary/BinaryFormatter.cs:136)
AC.Serializer.DeserializeObjectBinary[OptionsData] (System.String pString) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/Serializer.cs:110)
AC.SettingsManager.ShowGUI () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/SettingsManager.cs:429)
AdventureCreator.OnGUI () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/Editor/AdventureCreator.cs:138)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

I'm using AC 1.40b

I get this problem when I click settings on the game editor.

Comments

• edited December 2014
    And AC 1.40b was all find in 4.6.0?  What platform are you on?

Thanks for the warning.  I'll update to 4.6.1 myself and see if this is a general issue.

EDIT: Works fine for me.  I'll need to know more about your system.
  • I really don't know what the problem is, I think I fucked something up.

I also updated unityVS to the latest version, I unninstalled 4.6.1, and installed 4.6 and the problem is still there (even with just an empty project and just AC), I deleted monodevelop, unityVS and unity altogheter, but after reinstalling the error keeps coming up.

I'm now using unity 5 18b and it's working, I think I just dun goofed :(

I can still use it in my laptop, unity 4.6.1

Any ideas why it could be triggering the error ?
  • None at all, I'm afraid.  If it was working in 4.6 before, it does indeed sound like there's something wrong with your system.
  • BUMP

I'm having the exact same problem with 4.6 when I click on the settings tab.

Specs:

Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1

AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHZ 8-Core

8 GB RAM

• What Platform is set in your Build Settings?
  • Windows x86_64.
  • edited January 2015
    Since this is an issue on your machine, you'll have to bear with me a little.  Open up the script Serializer in AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system.  Look for the following line around 97:

public static T DeserializeObjectBinary <T> (string pString)

Now insert the following just after the opening bracket on the next line:

if (pString.Length == 0) return;

Does that solve the issue?
  • I followed your directions on my machine, and the compiler sent this error:

"Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/Serializer.cs(99,43): error CS0126: An object of a type convertible to `T' is required for the return statement"

• Ah.  OK, try this instead:

if (pString.Length == 0) return default (T);
  • Thanks for the reply. The console report:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AC.SettingsManager.ShowGUI () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/SettingsManager.cs:520)
    AdventureCreator.OnGUI () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/Editor/AdventureCreator.cs:138)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

• edited January 2015
    OK.  Now we'll need to edit SettingsManager.cs.

Line 518 reads:
    optionsData = Serializer.DeserializeObjectBinary  (optionsBinary);
    Replace it with the following:

if (optionsBinary.Length > 0)
    {
      optionsData = Serializer.DeserializeObjectBinary  (optionsBinary);
    }
    else
    {
      optionsData = new OptionsData ();
    }

• edited January 2015
    Same problem solved with last tip.
    Thanks Chris !!!
  • After a nervous click on the Settings tab, I had a feeling of relief as I saw it worked!

Thanks Chris!

• Glad to hear it!  I'll roll it out officially in 1.42.
  • I don't have the computer that was having problems right now, but suuuper glad this has been sorted out so I can use unity 4.6

THANKs.