Forum rules - please read before posting.

Questions and Answers Conversation

Hey there, I did see a post about that but I didn't find a good way to solve it.

What I want is a conversation with Question and Answers Options:
---------------------
Question Line?

Answer 1
Answer 2
Answer 3
---------------------

In the other post, they suggested to Play Speech in Background, but I have 2 problems with that.
The first one is that the Speech disapear after some time.
The second one is that the design for that is not ideal for the question. 
I want a new interface design for this.

So I thought the best way was in the "Start Conversation" to have a box that I can put a question there.
There is anyway to edit this node so I can do that?

If don't, there is another way?

Comments

• What do you mean by a question and various answers? You can create quite complex conversations if you need to , that could emulate a question and answer session.

Would the Question be asked by the NPC, and then you as the player answer with a choice of 3 different answers?

If so, I can probably help you build out a conversation tree to match, but i'm not sure if that's what you are asking.

Can you give an example of Questions and Answers, and who is asking/answering them?

Thanks
    Kev

• Yes, but when I make a question and after that create a conversation to choose from various answer, the question is not there, I want to have the question and the answer at the same time. Like I said before, if I use Play Speech in Background it work, but I can't make a specific UI design for a "Question with Answer". 
  • Welcome to the community, @MichelVictor.

To be clear, you're looking to have both the Subtitles and Conversation menus displayed simultaneously?

To do that, you just need to end your question "speech" with the [hold] token, which causes it to display indefinitely until you force it off with the Dialogue: Stop speech Action.  For more, see the Manual's "Text tokens" chapter.
  • Cool, it worked, the only thing is that I can't use a different UI design. To position the speech in another place or something like that.
    Any suggestion?
  • All aspects of the UI can be configured within the Menu Manager.  If you want to have a different Subtitles menu show for the "question", you can do it by creating a second Subtitles menu that is styled the way you want it (let's call it Question Menu).

To have it then show up instead of your regular Subtitles menu, there are two approaches:

1) Check Start game locked off? in the Question Menu's properties, and use a pair of Menu: Change state Action to lock the Subtitles Menu, and unlock the Question Menu, before showing the Question speech.  When a Menu is locked, it will not turn on even it the conditions of its Appear type field are met.

2) Create a new (invisible) NPC named QuestionNPC that is used as the speaker of the Question speech.  Your Question and Subtitles Menus both have a For speakers of type property, which you can use to limit any speech lines spoken by QuestionNPC to only appear in the Question menu.
  • Yay! Cool! I tried both and I thought the NPC was a better choice since is too hard to use 2 pair of action to change and back to the normal subtitle design. In fact I didn't even create a NPC, I used the Narration.
    Anyway I though was a little hard to make it, for a future feature, will be nice if was possible to give a "question" box for the conversation node.
    Because now, every time I need a question I need to stop the speech for every decision, am I doing it right?
  • Yes - but you can automate this through a simple script that relies on the OnClickConversation custom event.

All Actions are just running code that you can also run from a separate script.  Try pasting the following into a C# script named "EndHoldOnConversation", and attach it to an empty GameObject in your scene:

It'll run the same function as the Dialogue: Stop speech Action automatically whenever the user makes a choice in the Conversation.
  • This question is relevant to me. But the script is no longer available. How to be?

• edited December 2021

I believe this was the script:

using UnityEngine;
    using AC;

public class EndHoldOnConversation : MonoBehaviour
    {

private void OnEnable () { EventManager.OnClickConversation += OnClickConversation; }
        private void OnDisable () { EventManager.OnClickConversation -= OnClickConversation; }

private void OnClickConversation (Conversation conversation, int optionID)
        {
            KickStarter.dialog.KillDialog (true, false, SpeechMenuLimit.All, SpeechMenuType.NarrationOnly);
        }

}