Forum rules - please read before posting.

Tutorial 2D - Hotspot

Hi,

I am new to Adventure Creator and  I am following the 2d tutorial. I can't seem to get the hotspot to work. (1st Tree hotspot). I followed the  instructions  and created a yellow hotspot under  logic / hotsopt and named it accordingly but when I run the game, the tree name doesn't show up (on the tree , of course). All I have is the point and click to move around the scene. 
Maybe there's something I've missed. 
I'm running the latest Unity  ( Version 2018.1.0f2)

Thanks!
Eugene

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @Eugene84.

The Hotspot's name shows when you have a menu in your Menu Manager that is equipped to display it.  With the default interface, which the tutorial makes use of when using the New Game Wizard, this is provided for you via the "Hotspot" menu.

Is this listed in your Menu Manager?  If so, are you using the "Hotspot2D" logic type, or "Hotspot"?  You will need the first for 2D games, but this will be available by default if your game is set to use 2D camera perspective - an option that can be set within the Settings Manager.  Is this set to Unity 2D?

The only difference between a Hotspot and Hotspot2D is its Collider - does your Tree hotspot have a BoxCollider2D or PolygonCollider2D on it?
  • Hello,

Thank you very much for your help and answer.  I did follow the instructions on the video tutorial and   launched the Game Wizard at the beginning and made sure it was a 2d game in the Unity setup beforehand, checked it was a box collider...etc

Anyway, I restarted the whole process and it worked this time, maybe a glitch  somewhere alone the line.

Thanks again.

Eugene

• Can I use the 2D collider in the 3D world?

• edited February 2022

It depends on what your intent is.

A 2D Collider will not interact with 3D Rigidbodies or Colliders, but it is possible to use them in a scene that uses 3D graphics. These statements aren't to do with AC, however, but with how Unity works.

Whether AC can detect a 2D Hotspot or not is based on the game's "Camera perspective" setting.

If you want to have 2D characters in a 3D scene, you don't need to rely on 2D colliders - you can still have a sprite-based character rely on 3D colliders as a regular 3D character would.