Forum rules - please read before posting.

Crashing on iPhone 8's

Ok, so I've been having an issue where my game will crash on certain iOS devices. So far, I've tested the game on an iPhone 11, iPhone 13, and older iPhone SE, and 2 iPhone 8's, and when entering a specific scene the game will crash on the iPhone 8's. I know that it's not the onStart cutscene, as I removed it for one build to check that. It's only happening in a single scene, nowhere else in the game does it crash, and it only happens on iPhone 8's. I have no clue what's happening here or how to fix it, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• edited April 2022

In what AC/Unity versions, and does your project/scene rely on any non-AC scripts or packages?

There's not enough info here to guess as to what the issue might be - try batch-disabling sets of objects such as all Hotspots, ActionLists in turn to see if that has an effect.

Also look into the Console and/or log files to see if they offer any clues:

https://docs.unity3d.com/2019.2/Documentation/Manual/TroubleShootingIPhone.html
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/how-to-capturing-device-logs-on-ios.529920/

• I'm currently using AC version 1.75.2, and Unity version 2020.3.14f1.
    The game does use Steamworks for steam achievements. Those scripts are disabled for mobile builds, and I've ruled that out as the problem as I tried making a build where those scripts were completely deleted from the project, and still ran into the problem. I'll look into those links and see if I can track down the problem.

• Ran it in XCode, and got this error when the game crashed
    Job.Worker 0 (9): EXC_RESOURCE RESOURCE_TYPE_MEMORY (limit=1450 MB, unused=0x0)
    Don't really know what this means though.

• Update: Seems like based off what I got from google, this is a problem with the app using too much memory?
    I'm too much of an idiot though to know how to fix somthing like that

• edited April 2022

Memory's a very broad topic - if you don't have an issue in the rest of your game, it may not necessarily be AC-related.

Running the Profiler in the Editor should help point out memory issues, however.

Try disabling various groups of GameObjects in the scene - start with all except AC's GameEngine and MainCamera objects, to be sure that the crash can be prevented by this approach at all.

• Disabling everything but the gameEngine and mainCamera didn't seem to work, the game still crashed.
    Below is the results from running the game with the profiler in the editor.

• Disabling everything but the gameEngine and mainCamera didn't seem to work, the game still crashed.

A few tests to try, in that case:

• What is the result of beginning the game from this scene?
    • Rather than disabling objects, try deleting them instead - naturally, back up your project beforehand.
    • What is the result of entering this scene with the AC's Demo Managers (or 2D Demo Managers, if its a 2D game) assigned, instead of your own?

Below is the results from running the game with the profiler in the editor.

Use the "CPU Usage" Profiler module, and examine the Hierarchy with "Deep Profile" enabled. Check the GC alloc column in particular - and share screens of the hierarchy for anything that looks big.

• Did some of the tests, and as I was working on this it magically decided to work! I was messing around with some stuff previously unrelated to this, perhaps something I did fixed the problem? I honestly have no clue what I did, but it's no longer crashing. I'll do some more tests, as I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or if the problem is actually fixed. Thanks for you're help so far!