Forum rules - please read before posting.

Suggestion: A few speech manager improvements (editor)

Hi there,
Here's a few ideas regarding the speech manager that has come up now that I'm working with translators:

1. When translators ask me for context about a line, there's no central way for me to get that information out to all the translators. It would be great if I could just edit the description right from within the speech manager (just as I can edit the translations).
  2. It would be nice to be able to update the Original text directly (so I don't have to run the Gather text command every time I made a small change
  3. I often need to look up a line by id, it would be nice to have an "All" Type filter. Or, if that results in too long lists, maybe a new Text filter called something like "ID (Global)" that would let you get any line by ID regardless of the Type filter

Have a good one!

Comments

• edited April 2022

It would be great if I could just edit the description right from within the speech manager

You can - or should be able to. What's your Unity version, and how does the Description field appear for you?

It would be nice to be able to update the Original text directly

There's no getting around a full search of the project when syncing text in the Speech Manager and the original source. What you can do, however, is make changes in a CSV export file, and import them as changes to the original text.

I often need to look up a line by id, it would be nice to have an "All" Type filter.

I'll give this some thought. Though, you can currently export all lines to a CSV file you can keep on-hand.

• You can - or should be able to. What's your Unity version, and how does the Description field appear for you?

I see now the problem, this is already doable for Speech, but not for all types (such as Hotspot). I find I sometime need to add descriptions to items or hotspots to give translators context.

There's no getting around a full search of the project when syncing text in the Speech Manager and the original source. What you can do, however, is make changes in a CSV export file, and import them as changes to the original text.

Right, the scenario is that I just updated the original source (for let's say a menu item), and would now like to update the original language line to match in perhaps more quicker way than doing a full Gather text. When I know what I want to change, it seems limiting to show the original text in the editor without allowing it to be edited.

I'll give this some thought. Though, you can currently export all lines to a CSV file you can keep on-hand.

Yes, keeping a CSV is an interesting idea. I guess knowing that file is always up to date isn't always trivial (especially if working in a team). And going directly to the source (where a filtering system already is in place) might just be a more straight forward approach.

• I find I sometime need to add descriptions to items or hotspots to give translators context.

Understood, I will add this.

And going directly to the source (where a filtering system already is in place) might just be a more straight forward approach.

True, this will be added as well.