Forum rules - please read before posting.

Directly Navigating Empty Inventory Slots

When Using an AC inventory with Direct Navigation, there currently is no way (as far as I know) of recognising that you are currently hovering over an empty slot, as the Highlight texture does not show.

Also, I have tried using both Disable Object and Clear Content for empty slots and I don't quite get what the difference is? Either way, the issue would be solved simply by having the highlight texture still display when you are on an empty slot. I know I could build a Unity UI version, but it's a lot of work just to avoid this one issue.

So I suppose this is basically a small feature request: The option to still display the highlight texture on empty inventory slots. Would improve things a great deal for keyboard/controller based games I think.

Comments

• Edit: The same applies to Containers, for the ContainerItems and PlayerInventory elements.

• Check Highlight empty slots? in the InventoryBox element's properties to allow empty slots to be highlighted.

• I don't seem to have this option. Was it introduced in a more recent version?
    InventoryBox

• edited May 2022

No, you should have it - though currently this only shows if Items can be re-ordered in Menus? is checked in the Settings Manager.

I will look into exposing this option if this is unchecked.

I have tried using both Disable Object and Clear Content for empty slots and I don't quite get what the difference is?

In the case that an InventoryBox element has a maximum of 10 slots, and 4 items:

• Disable Object will reduce the element's number of slots to 4, and the remaining 6 cannot be navigated.
    • Clear Content will keep the number of slots at 10, but 6 of them will be "empty" and navigable - though currently without a highlight texture if the above option is unchecked.
  • Oh I see it now, thanks. It would help me out if it's made available without re-ordering items being enabled though.

However, I'm still not seeing the highlight texture on empty slots in my inventory, even though highlight empty slots is now checked. Is it because I'm loading a save which previously didn't have it enabled?

• It would help me out if it's made available without re-ordering items being enabled though.

It will be looked into.

Is it because I'm loading a save which previously didn't have it enabled?

Does it work if you don't load a save?

• No it doesn't. I can hear the hover sound, so I know it's actually on the empty slot/s, but no highlight texture is shown for some reason.

• Backup/duplicate the project and test this in the latest release - does it still occur in v1.75.3?

• edited May 2022

Okay, I have now updated to latest version and still no highlight texture displays on empty slots. Maybe I have a setting that's blocking it somehow, I don't know.

Does it work on your end? Could you do a quick test with an AC project set as using direct control, keyboard/controller-based with an AC inventory menu?

• Does it work on your end?

It does, after modifying the Demo Managers with the following:

• Check Items can be re-ordered in Menus? in the Settings Manager
    • Check Directly-navigate Menus when paused? in the Menu Manager
    • Set the Inventory menu's Appear type to Manual
    • Check both Enabled on start? and Pause game when enabled?
  • edited May 2022

Thanks for trying it out. I tried again just now with more or less those same settings and it still would not work.

However, I had an Empty slot texture assigned. If you have a Background texture set as** per slot**, as well as an Empty slot texture, then the highlight texture does not display over the empty slot.
    I think it was a misunderstanding on my part, since you don't really need to show the empty slot texture as the background texture is already doing it's job.

So, I just got rid of the empty slot texture and all is good now.