Forum rules - please read before posting.

Now way to specify mixer group for Ambience

edited July 2022 in Technical Q&A

I'm using Audio Mixers but I can't find a way to assign ambience to a mixer group.

I was looking for a "Ambience mixer" setting under Audio settings but couldn't find one, so instead I tried to change the output on the AmbienceEngine prefab, but in runtime, the output is changed to match the SFX mixer instead.

If possible, it would be nice to have a slider for the ambience in the mixer.

Comments

• It's set internally to the SFX mixer, but you can override it through script at runtime:

KickStarter.stateHandler.GetAmbienceEngine ().audioSource.outputAudioMixerGroup = myAudioMixer;

• OK, not sure when, tho... Whenever I set it (I tried it on awake and start of components added to the scene), it seems to always get overwritten to SFX.

• You'll need to wait for the scene to initialise. Try calling it in an OnAfterChangeScene event hook.

• edited August 2022

Even then any changes are overwritten. Doesn't it seems logical to be able to specify that one just as easily as the other ones?
    Another option might be to have a global volume for ambience in the "Ambience storage" window? Folks might find a similar volume in "Music storage" handy too, come to think of it.

• Another option might be to have a global volume for ambience in the "Ambience storage" window?

It's not global, but you can set the relative volume for individual Music and Ambience tracks.

• edited August 2022

Indeed, I'm suggesting here to maybe add a global one. One that the individual ones would be relative to.
    I still haven't found a way to set the volume for all ambience other than changing the volume for every individual ambience track. Even manually changing the volume on the Ambience prefab gets overidden in-game.