Forum rules - please read before posting.

GFX resolution/quality sliders in AC

@ChrisIceBox AC's handling of music/sfx/speech options and sliders is flawless. We don't have the same features for graphics settings, and I find it pretty hard to create them from scratch. Can I ask for a feature that covers GFX settings, or at least a tutorial on how to implement them?

Comments

• What options a game requires will vary between projects, so customisation is necessary.

A tutorial on creating a custom resolution option can be found here.

Other custom options would follow the same workflow, i.e.:

• Create a Variable that stores the data, setting its Link to property to Options Data
    • Create an Element in the Options menu that lets the user change this value
    • Call a custom script script that updates the Unity setting based on the Variable's value

In the case of Unity's Quality Settings, this would be of the form:

int qualityIndex = AC.GlobalVariables.GetVariable ("Quality").IntegerValue;
    QualitySettings.SetQualityLevel (qualityIndex);

Where "Quality" is the name of a Global Integer variable.

• Thanks, will do!

• "What options a game requires will vary between projects, so customisation is necessary."

Clearly. So why not hardcode an implementation into AC proper?
    AC is the last major UAS toolkit that doesn't include a full GFX options menu (or a workable key remapping options menu for that matter) yet. That also means AC is lagging behind other solutions which opt for a more inclusive & user-friendly approach.

• So why not hardcode an implementation into AC proper?

Hard-coding things into the core asset limits users by what's provided. However, a downloadable template that can be used and customised to suit is a good idea.

You can find such a template on the Downloads page.

or a workable key remapping options menu for that matter

Input remapping is best done in conjunction with Input System, which provides a dedicated API to do so. The Input System Integration package, also on the Downloads page, provides an optional remapping Menu.

• Hi Chris, does the Graphic Options download have actual functionality, or is it just supposed to be a UI template?

• edited October 2022

Both - it provides options for resolution, full-screen, quality, anti-aliasing, texture size and v-sync, and is written in a way that allows it to be extended through editing of a single script.

• @ChrisIceBox I apologize for being carried away in my choice of words above, and thank you for the new template. It goes to show why AC is still the best overall solution out there.

• Oh nice, never knew this was there. Think I'll try it out this week when I get chance, it's actually more than I expected - I was just looking to replicate the Quality option dropdown from the (old) Unity build/game start-up window.