Forum rules - please read before posting.

UCC 3rd/1st person "Nolan" integration error

edited November 2022 in Technical Q&A

So I've dissected the Nolan integration demo package, where everything works 100% while the Nolan demo character is the Player. However, once I substituted my own character in place of Nolan -- first installing it as a new UCC character, then adding AC's necessary components, including the HotspotDetector --, AC's Hotspot GUI (or any GUI) fails to show up.

Again, I've spent time with dissecting the demo character and its whopping 19(!) components, not counting the 3 separate custom Colliders and the HotspotDetector, which seems to be key. In the pic below, my own char is "Soldier1", and the Nolan char is shown under it for reference. Thanks for any input.

Comments

• AC's Hotspot GUI (or any GUI) fails to show up

Are you able to access AC's Pause menu? If you've removed it from your interface, you can bring it back temporarily by switching to the Default_MenuManager asset.

What messages appear in the Console, and what does AC's Status box (enabled via the bottom of the Settings Manager) reveal at runtime?

• edited November 2022

The in-game AC menu does show up in Default_MenuManager, the Pause menu does not.

AC / UCC Demo scene. Setting movement method to Direct, and hotspot detection method to PlayerVicinity
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log (object,UnityEngine.Object)
    InitSceneExample:OnEnable () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Downloads/UCC integration/Scripts/InitSceneExample.cs:24)

**Both a Player and a Hotspot Detector on that Player are required for Hotspots to be detected by 'Player Vicinity'

-> AC debug logger
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning (object,UnityEngine.Object)
    AC.ACDebug:LogWarning (object,UnityEngine.Object) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Static/ACDebug.cs:33)
    AC.PlayerInteraction:CheckForHotspots () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerInteraction.cs:304)
    AC.PlayerInteraction:ChooseHotspotThenInteractionClick_Process (bool) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerInteraction.cs:434)
    AC.PlayerInteraction:ChooseHotspotThenInteractionClick () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerInteraction.cs:427)
    AC.PlayerInteraction:HandleInteractionMenu () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerInteraction.cs:200)
    AC.PlayerInteraction:UpdateInteraction () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerInteraction.cs:131)
    AC.StateHandler:Update () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/StateHandler.cs:213)**

It seems that InitSceneExample reverts to Player Vicinity detection despite me setting the other (MouseOver) method. Also, despite the warning, Player and HotspotDetector components are already present.

• It will - but it's just for demo purposes. You can safely remove it from you scene.

• OK. Deleted the demo script, did an OnStart Camera Switch to UCC MainCamera, adjusted both 1st and 3rd person perspectives, and now it's fully integrated.

• edited November 2022

1 more question please: the UCC/AC setup now seems to be working fine without the HotspotDetector trigger attached to Player, with AC's Interaction GUI showing up OK.
    (In fact, this is the only way I can make use of my self-made Examine system, without the full-size HotspotDetector collider interfering.)
    Is this problematic, and should I expect to run into issues later on in the absence of HotspotDetector? Thanks.

• Generally speaking, I shouldn't think so. I assumed that most games that rely on UCC would involve Player Vicinity-based detection, but it's not strictly a requirement.