Forum rules - please read before posting.

Potential Bug

When trying to force the save system to use SaveFileHandler_SystemFile I receive this error:

Assets\Scripts\ForceSaveSystem.cs(11,42): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'SaveFileHandler_SystemFile' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Here's my script:

using UnityEngine;
using AC;

public class ForceSaveSystem : MonoBehaviour
{
    void Awake()
    {
        SaveSystem.SaveFileHandler = new SaveFileHandler_SystemFile();
        Options.OptionsFileHandler = new OptionsFileHandler_SystemFile();
    }
}

I'm using Unity 2021.3.15f1 and AC 1.76. This even happens for me on a fresh AC install/new project.

Comments

• edited December 2022

To add: Using "SaveSystem.SaveFileHandler = new SaveFileHandler_SystemFile();" also completely breaks the PersistentEngine and makes all scripts attached, including AC's default scripts, come up with errors after a restart of Unity.

• I cannot recreate such an issue. Check that you have only one script and class - the original from AC's "Scripts/Save system/FileHandling" folder, named SaveFileHandler_SystemFile.

Don't run your code in Awake - it'll run before AC has loaded. Try Start instead.

• The documentation says to place it in Awake()?

It seems to be because the entire contents of the SaveFileHandler_SystemFile file are wrapped in #if !SAVE_IN_PLAYERPREFS so I can't add the script to the PersistentEngine unless I comment those out because it hides the MonoBehaviour class which is required to add the script to an object.

Is it ok to comment those out?

• It can be in Awake, provided its on the PersistentEngine.

It seems to be because the entire contents of the SaveFileHandler_SystemFile file are wrapped in #if !SAVE_IN_PLAYERPREFS

The directive is there to prevent compilation errors on unsupported platforms.

You can try commenting them out - it may work - but the best way is to duplicate the script, make changes, and have your ForceSaveSystem refer to the copy.

• Yes, it's on the persistentEngine. Thanks Chris.