Forum rules - please read before posting.

Highlight Hotspots when holding down Finger on Screen (Mobile)

edited January 2023 in Technical Q&A

Hi guys,

I know that there is a way to have the Hotspots always shown in a "soft" way, where they are always there but kind of transparent, as the default. But now, I would like that when holding the finger on the screen the HS Icons are changed to a stronger, brighter, bigger version that are easier to spot. Is there a way to implement this for mobile?

Thanks for any suggestions. If I have missed an already existing topic i'm sorry!

Robert

Comments

• For the input side of the issue, this script on the AC wiki can be adapted to work with touch-screen input.

Try this:

using UnityEngine;
    using AC;

public class HoldToFlash : MonoBehaviour
    {

private bool isInGameplay;

private void OnEnable () { EventManager.OnExitGameState += OnExitGameState; }
        private void OnDisable () { EventManager.OnExitGameState -= OnExitGameState; }

private void Update ()
        {
            if (isInGameplay && Input.touchCount == 1)
            {
                if (Input.GetTouch (0).phase == TouchPhase.Ended)
                {
                    FlashHotspots (true);
                }
                else
                {
                    FlashHotspots ();
                }
            }
        }

private void OnExitGameState (GameState gameState)
        {
            isInGameplay = (gameState != GameState.Normal);
            if (!isInGameplay)
            {
                FlashHotspots (true);
            }
        }

private void CancelFlash ()
        {
            foreach (Hotspot hotspot in KickStarter.stateHandler.Hotspots)
            {
                if (hotspot.highlight)
                {
                    hotspot.highlight.CancelFlash ();
                }
            }
        }

private void FlashHotspots ()
        {
            foreach (Hotspot hotspot in KickStarter.stateHandler.Hotspots)
            {
                if (hotspot.highlight && hotspot.IsOn () && hotspot.PlayerIsWithinBoundary () && hotspot != KickStarter.playerInteraction.GetActiveHotspot ())
                {
                    hotspot.highlight.flashHoldTime = 1000f;
                    hotspot.highlight.Flash ();
                }
            }
        }

}

This will cause the Hotspot "flash" effect to kick in while holding a finger down, but you'll need to assign a Highlight component to each Hotspot. What effect this has visually can be altered (through scripting if necessary), but see if this sorts out the input side of things first.

• Oof, I'm still kind of hestitant to get into the actual scripting/coding stuff but I'll try to figure it out the basics in the next days and then work with your suggestions and get back if I still have any questions!

Thank you very much!

• Hi Chris,

I managed to get the Hotspots to flash on a specific button press with the method described in the AC Wiki, defining "FlashHold" Input in the (old) Input Manager, however, if I change the script to your suggestion, nothing happens anymore :-(.

I did change mouse input to simulate touch input, but it still does nothing.

Do you think I could use the script from the AC Wiki, and then in the new Input Manager System define a "FlashHold" Input?
    Because I know that there I can easily define the touch inputs... I just don't know how to tell Unity/AC that it's supposed to be the "FlashHold" Input.

Any suggestions?

• The script on the wiki uses Input.GetButtonDown/Up - if you're on touch-screen, you don't need to use that and can instead use Input.touchCount:

That's essentially what the modified script above does - but it'll only take effect when built to mobile. You can incorporate both - so that you can test in the Editor with FlashHold by replacing the above's Update function with:

public string inputName = "FlashHold";
    private void Update ()
    {
        if (isInGameplay)
        {
            #if UNITY_EDITOR
            if (KickStarter.playerInput.InputGetButtonDown (inputName))
            {
                FlashHotspots ();
            }
            else if (KickStarter.playerInput.InputGetButtonUp (inputName))
            {
                FlashHotspots (true);
            }
            #else
            if (Input.touchCount == 1)
            {
            {
                FlashHotspots (true);
            }
            else
            {
                FlashHotspots ();
            }
            }
            #endif
        }
    }

This assumes you're using Unity's Input Manager system, however. By "new Input Manager System" are you referring to Input System?

Try switching back to the old input manager - or at least allowing "Both" in Unity's Player settings - before incorporating Input System, to check that the script's behaviour is as you want first. Is it giving the proper intended behaviour otherwise?

• edited March 2023

Hmm so with the new script I can get the button that I defined in the input manager to flash the Hotspots but when I click with the mouse on the screen it still doesnt do anything. Am I doing something wrong? Does the mouseclick not simulate a touchpress? I activated the option to simulate touch in the debugger and also changed to build to IOS, still not working...

• Is this an issue in builds, or only the Editor?

In the Input Manager, you can set the input's Positive Button field to mouse 0 to have left-clicks trigger the input.

• Yeah mouse 0 as left click trigger works… hmm must be something with the build then that it does not recognize the mouseclick as touch i assume.
  • The code above separates the inputs, so that only touches are recognised in the build. This version should allow both types at all times:

public string inputName = "FlashHold";
    private void Update ()
    {
        if (isInGameplay)
        {
            if (KickStarter.playerInput.InputGetButtonDown (inputName))
            {
                FlashHotspots ();
            }
            else if (KickStarter.playerInput.InputGetButtonUp (inputName))
            {
                FlashHotspots (true);
            }
            else if (Input.touchCount == 1)
            {
                {
                    FlashHotspots (true);
                }
                else
                {
                    FlashHotspots ();
                }
            }
        }
    }