Forum rules - please read before posting.

Menus being stored in "DontDestroyOnLoad"

I have a question about menus and their possible effect on performance. I'm making this game called "The Abandoned Planet":

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2014470/The_Abandoned_Planet/

As you can see in the screenshots, there are these directional arrows that allow the player to navigate through the game. Each Unity scene has anywhere from 10 to 30 backgrounds, and there are something like 300 navigable backgrounds in the game. Each background has its own "MoveDirection" menu (the menu with the arrows). Each one of those 300 "MoveDirection" menus references the exact same UnityUI prefab.

What I noticed yesterday is that, as each menu is instantiated, the MoveDirection menus start to pile up in "DontDestroyOnLoad".

This is a problem for my game, right? This is probably not going to be good for performance if 300+ menus are sitting in DontDestroyOnLoad, right? Is there a way for AC to save changes to those menus without them sitting in DontDestroyOnLoad? Can Unity destroy those menus? Not all those menus have data that changes. Can there be an option for the menu to be destroyed after it's Locked?

Looking forward to hearing back. Thanks!

Comments

• To be clear: you have 300 MoveDirection menus in AC's Menu Manager, each one linked to a separate background?

If a Menu's Source property is set to Unity Ui Prefab, then it's intended to be accessed globally within the game, and so must survive scene changes. You can set it to Unity Ui In Scene to have it only reference scene objects, without instantiation/scene-surviving.

Since the layout of the Menus is the same across all usages, though, it makes more sense to either:

1. Unhook the UI objects from the Menu Manager, and use scripting/click events to provide their click-functionality
    2. Only rely on one Menu, and change its click-functionality based on what background is active.
  • Thanks for responding, Chris. Yes, I have around 300 MoveDirection menus in the AC Menu Manager, even so, each one is referencing the same Unity UI Prefab.

But you're right! Especially your first suggestion.

To be honest, I didn't know that a Cutscene or Interaction (InScene or Actionlist) could be referenced by a Unity Event, but this makes sense.

What I can do is just have the arrow click event reference a Cutscene/Interaction that checks the local int variable, "Which location is player at?" (since my backgrounds are numbered), and then depending on that, it plays another Cutscene that transitions the camera, changes which arrows are disabled, etc.

Looks like I have another month of redoing everything. My bad. But I guess it's not gamedev if you don't have to do it twice. lol

Thanks again!

• What I can do is just have the arrow click event reference a Cutscene/Interaction that checks the local int variable, "Which location is player at?" (since my backgrounds are numbered), and then depending on that, it plays another Cutscene that transitions the camera, changes which arrows are disabled, etc.

If you've a separate Cutscene for each instance of the menu, you'd be best off handling the logic entirely through a script you can attach to each menu.

AC variables and components can all be accessed through script - see the Scripting Guide's first page for a quick overview, but I can advise if you want to share details on exactly what needs doing.

Looks like I have another month of redoing everything.

It'll be worth it - your demo's great.

• Thanks for the response, Chris! And I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the demo and I appreciate the offer for advice.

Here's what each click on the MoveDirection (Up, Down, Left, or Right) is doing:

https://imgur.com/a/EiuxvU9

How would you advise I achieve this through scripting? And do you think I should just have one MoveDirection menu, or maybe a MoveDirection menu for each Act (Five Acts)? Any questions you have for me?

• Are the Actions involved here typical of a background-change? If so, all the Actions here (including those in the cutscene) can be parameterised, allowing for a single ActionList that is called for any background-change.

Unless you're keeping track of multiple Players across different scenes, you could move the location variable either to a Global integer, or attach it to the Player prefab directly via a Variables component. That way, you can refer to it within ActionList assets and then parameterise its value as well - no need to run a separate Cutscene.

Scripting would be more on the side of processing the clicks on your MoveDirection menu buttons - if you were to reduce it to a single Menu and one set of directional buttons. This'd reduce the number of menu Actions in your ActionList as well.

• edited January 2023

Thanks for the response. Great suggestions here. To be honest, I have no idea why I didn't think of using parameters. Probably just bad AC habits from back when I was developing my last game. lol

Anyways, at this link, I added another screenshot with an example of how I would "parameterise" the actionlists I was previously using.

https://imgur.com/a/EiuxvU9

Do you think that would suffice?

Also, things to consider:

• How would you recommend sending a signal to the MoveDirection menu arrows that need to be disabled or enabled? (You know, like, on background 1 you can go left and down, but then when you go left to background 2, you can then move right and up... for example). If the MoveDirection UnityUI prefab is sitting in the Scene, should I add those as gameObjects and parameterise those as well?

• How would you recommend I keep track of MoveDirection arrows that are turned On by a solving a puzzle? For example, you open a door and now the upArrow on the MoveDirection menu is enabled for background X. Since those happen only a certain backgrounds, should that just be another parameterised actionList checking local variables?

• If I were looking at some custom scripting, where would that come in? What would you recommend?

Let me know what you think. I very much appreciate your input!

• I can't see parameters in the screenshot - did you repost the last image by accident?

The neatest way I can see the system being handled is through a script that is used for each "mini" location in your scene. This script would store the necessary data about its associated camera, available directions, and have functions to move around.

Here's a (very) basic example - put your current scenes aside for the moment and give it a try in a new scene:

using System;
    using UnityEngine;
    using AC;

public class MiniLocation : MonoBehaviour
    {

public Direction up, down, left, right;
        public _Camera camera;

[ContextMenu ("Enter")]
        public void Enter ()
        {
            KickStarter.mainCamera.SetGameCamera (camera);
            UpdateMenu ();
        }

[ContextMenu ("GoUp")]
        public void GoUp ()
        {
            Move (up);
        }

[ContextMenu ("GoDown")]
        public void GoDown ()
        {
            Move (up);
        }

[ContextMenu ("GoLeft")]
        public void GoLeft ()
        {
            Move (up);
        }

[ContextMenu ("GoRight")]
        public void GoRight ()
        {
            Move (up);
        }

private void Move (Direction direction)
        {
            if (direction.isEnabled && direction.miniLocation)
            {
                direction.miniLocation.Enter ();
            }
        }

private void UpdateMenu ()
        {
            Menu moveDirectionMenu = PlayerMenus.GetMenuWithName ("MoveDirection");
            moveDirectionMenu.GetElementWithName ("Up").IsVisible = up.isEnabled;
            moveDirectionMenu.GetElementWithName ("Down").IsVisible = down.isEnabled;
            moveDirectionMenu.GetElementWithName ("Left").IsVisible = left.isEnabled;
            moveDirectionMenu.GetElementWithName ("Right").IsVisible = right.isEnabled;
            moveDirectionMenu.ResetVisibleElements ();
            moveDirectionMenu.Recalculate ();
        }

[Serializable]
        public class Direction
        {

public bool isEnabled;
            public MiniLocation miniLocation;

}

}

Add some locations to your scene as you've done before, but add this component to each backgroud sprite as you do so - filling in their Inspectors with a GameCamera and direction info.

The script will auto-set the visibility of arrows within a menu - the naming convention is important. You'll need to have a menu named "MoveDirection" with elements named Up/Down/Left/Right - or you can amend the strings in the script itself.

To switch to a specific location, use the Object: Call event Action to run the script's Enter function for that location's MiniLocation component. Note that this needs to be the specific component instance - not the script.

Then, to move in a given direction, use the same technique to call the GoUp / GoLeft etc functions.

To quickly test things without using Actions, the component's context menu has items to run these same functions.

Things can be extended with the ability to enable/disable directions (and record their states in save-games), but see if this is along the right lines.

• Hey Chris. Thank you for that. First of all, about the screenshot, try this:

https://i.imgur.com/3hTrJtL.png

This is the screenshot I took of my parameterised ActionList. As you can see here, there are a few extra things that happen besides just changing the camera and enabling/disabling MoveDirection arrows. I have the MapMenu to consider as well as Ambience tracks to potentially swap out.

But I'm open to anything that improves performance!

I'm trying out your script. I have a menu called MoveDirection and the elements are called up, down, left, right. When the scene starts, I use Object: Call Event to run the **Enter **function for the script placed on MiniLocation 0. This works great. But then, I can't go anywhere. So...

One thing I need a bit of clarification on is this:

Then, to move in a given direction, use the same technique to call the GoUp / GoLeft etc functions.

How are you suggesting the arrow keys reference these functions? Through an actionlist? If so, how will the single Menu MoveDirection differentiate between the MiniLocations and their associated scripts?

• First, just test out the behaviour using the Inspector's context menu - we'll need to make sure the fundamental location-switching works from there before we incorporate it into a menu.

Assuming so: for the menu buttons - are you using Unity UI? What we could try is overriding the click behaviour (unset the ActionList on click fields and call via script). Here's an updated script that should do that:

using System;
    using UnityEngine;
    using AC;

{

public _Camera camera;

[ContextMenu ("Enter")]
        public void Enter ()
        {
            UpdateMenu ();
        }

{
            up.UpdateUIButton (moveDirectionMenu);
            down.UpdateUIButton (moveDirectionMenu);
            left.UpdateUIButton (moveDirectionMenu);
            right.UpdateUIButton (moveDirectionMenu);
        }

[Serializable]
        public class Direction
        {

public bool isEnabled;
            public string elementName;

public void UpdateUIButton (Menu menu)
            {
                MenuButton button = menu.GetElementWithName (elementName) as MenuButton;
                button.IsVisible = isEnabled;
                button.uiButton.onClick.RemoveAllListeners ();
                button.uiButton.onClick.AddListener (() => { Move; });
            }

private void Move ()
            {
                if (isEnabled && miniLocation)
                {
                    miniLocation.Enter ();
                }
            }

}

}

• Thanks for that. Yeah, I'm using Unity UI.

For that suggested script, I got a console error on line 43:

button.uiButton.onClick.AddListener (() => {Move;});

But I changed it to:

button.uiButton.onClick.AddListener (() => {Move();});

I also had to add IsEnabled to the GetElementWithName line from the first script. Otherwise, when using the context menu Enter function, the MoveDirection arrows wouldn't enable or disable correctly.

Anyways, it works! You can see this in the video here:

https://imgur.com/mD8GU2s

What's the next step?

• It should be that the move direction menu buttons also work - have you tried using them to navigate?

Assuming so, the next step would be to add the ability to enable/disable directions per-location, as well as record such changes in save-games.

Share the updated script and I'll amend it with those features.

• edited January 2023

Thank you. Now, I went back and tried the arrow directions... while the ContextMenu GoLeft, GoRight, etc work, the UI arrow buttons do not work. I have the arrow buttons in the MoveDirection menu in the AC menu manager set to Click Type: Custom Script. Those arrow buttons are called "Up, Down, Left, Right", and I doubled check to make sure there were no spaces or anything. Not sure what's going on.

Here is the updated script:

using System;
    using UnityEngine;
    using AC;

{

public _Camera camera;

[ContextMenu ("Enter")]
        public void Enter ()
        {
            UpdateMenu ();
        }

[ContextMenu ("GoUp")]
        public void GoUp ()
        {
            Move (up);
        }

[ContextMenu ("GoDown")]
        public void GoDown ()
        {
            Move (down);
        }

[ContextMenu ("GoLeft")]
        public void GoLeft ()
        {
            Move (left);
        }

public void GoRight ()
        {
            Move (right);
        }

{
            {
            }
        }

{
            moveDirectionMenu.GetElementWithName ("Up").IsVisible = up.isEnabled;
            moveDirectionMenu.GetElementWithName ("Down").IsVisible = down.isEnabled;
            moveDirectionMenu.GetElementWithName ("Left").IsVisible = left.isEnabled;
            moveDirectionMenu.GetElementWithName ("Right").IsVisible = right.isEnabled;
        }

[Serializable]
        public class Direction
        {

public bool isEnabled;

{
            }

private void Move ()
            {
                {
                    miniLocation.Enter ();
                }
            }

}

}

• Revert back to my script - you've removed the call to UpdateUIButton which sets up the onClick behaviour.

This function also sets the IsVisible property, so they should display correctly. Regardless, does that then give you the click functionality?

• edited January 2023

Gotcha -- OK. It "works". Here is the script as of now:

using System;
    using UnityEngine;
    using UnityEngine.UI;
    using AC;

{

public _Camera camera;

[ContextMenu ("Enter")]
        public void Enter ()
        {
            UpdateMenu ();
        }

[ContextMenu ("GoUp")]
        public void GoUp ()
        {
            Move (up);
        }

[ContextMenu ("GoDown")]
        public void GoDown ()
        {
            Move (down);
        }

[ContextMenu ("GoLeft")]
        public void GoLeft ()
        {
            Move (left);
        }

public void GoRight ()
        {
            Move (right);
        }

{
            {
            }
        }

{

}

[Serializable]
        public class Direction
        {

public bool isEnabled;

{
            }

private void Move ()
            {
                {
                    miniLocation.Enter ();
                }
            }

}

}

There are some strange things that happen though:

• The MoveDirection arrows cannot be controlled with the WASD keys as they previously could be. They can only be clicked by the mouse.
    • On the other hand, there is no OnClick sound when clicking on the MoveDirection arrows, but pressing WASD does produce the OnClick sound... even though, they don't do anything else.
    • I tried using an OnStart Cutscene to "Call Event: MiniLocation: Enter" for Background 0... you know, just to automate the process of setting the initial MoveDirection arrows. It works when the Cutscene is set to "Run in Background" but when set to "Pause Gameplay" (which is what I would typically need) it never exits the Pause Gameplay state (no cursor, no arrows keys, etc.).

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself though. Thanks for helping with this! Looking forward to getting it sorted.

• edited January 2023

Here's an update that should sort out the click/navigation issues. It also provides EnableUp / DisableLeft etc functions that can be called in a similar way to enable/disable specific directions:

using System;
    using UnityEngine;
    using UnityEngine.UI;
    using AC;

{

public Direction up = new Direction ("up");
        public Direction down = new Direction ("down");
        public Direction left = new Direction ("left");
        public Direction right = new Direction ("right");
        public _Camera camera;
        public ActionList actionListOnEnter;

public static MiniLocation activeMiniLocation { get; private set; }
        private const string menuName = "MoveDirection";

private void OnEnable () { EventManager.OnMenuElementClick += OnMenuElementClick; }
        private void OnDisable () { EventManager.OnMenuElementClick -= OnMenuElementClick; }

[ContextMenu ("Enter")]
        public void Enter ()
        {
            activeMiniLocation = this;
            if (actionListOnEnter) actionListOnEnter.Interact ();
            UpdateMenu ();
        }

[ContextMenu ("GoUp")]
        public void GoUp () { Move (up); }

[ContextMenu ("GoDown")]
        public void GoDown () { Move (down); }

[ContextMenu ("GoLeft")]
        public void GoLeft () { Move (left); }

public void GoRight () { Move (right); }

public void EnableUp () { SetDirectionState (up, true); }
        public void DisableUp () { SetDirectionState (up, false); }

public void EnableDown () { SetDirectionState (down, true); }
        public void DisableDown () { SetDirectionState (down, false); }

public void EnableLeft () { SetDirectionState (left, true); }
        public void DisableLeft () { SetDirectionState (left, false); }

public void EnableRight () { SetDirectionState (right, true); }
        public void DisableRight () { SetDirectionState (right, false); }

private void SetDirectionState (Direction direction, bool state)
        {
            direction.isEnabled = state;
            if (activeMiniLocation == this) UpdateMenu ();
        }

{
            {
            }
        }

{
            Menu moveDirectionMenu = PlayerMenus.GetMenuWithName (menuName);
        }

private void OnMenuElementClick (Menu _menu, MenuElement _element, int _slot, int buttonPressed)
        {
            if (_menu.title == menuName)
            {
                if (up.elementName == _element.title) Move (up);
                else if (down.elementName == _element.title) Move (down);
                else if (left.elementName == _element.title) Move (left);
                else if (right.elementName == _element.title) Move (right);
            }
        }

[Serializable]
        public class Direction
        {

public bool isEnabled;

public Direction (string _elementName)
            {
                elementName = _elementName;
            }

{
            }

private void Move ()
            {
                {
                    miniLocation.Enter ();
                }
            }

}

}

As for the blocking/background issue: the Object: Call event Action should only ever run a single frame. If you enable the AC Status box via the bottom of the Settings Manager, and view the ActionList in the ActionList Editor at runtime, do they both indicate that its this Action that is running forever?

• edited January 2023

Hey Chris, that's great, and it works great as well! There was an error with this:

private void OnEnable () { EventManager.OnMenuElementClick += OnMenuElementClick; } private void OnEnable () { EventManager.OnMenuElementClick -= OnMenuElementClick; }

So, I just removed this one:

private void OnEnable () { EventManager.OnMenuElementClick -= OnMenuElementClick; }

I think it was because there were two private void functions called "OnEnable".

Anyways, it works with just the first one. It also solved the issue with running the OnEnter function in the background or pausing gameplay. Both work great.

I think the next step is:

• making sure that enabling/disabling the arrows gets saved
    • Is there a way to create a slot to Run an actionlist after a MoveDirection arrow is clicked/tapped? I was looking at the ActionRunActionList.cs script I see that you can create a public ActionList. Can you run that script using an Instance? Something like ActionRunActionList.Instance.Run(NameOfActionList);... something like that?

Looking forward to seeing the next step. Thanks!

• I think it was because there were two private void functions called "OnEnable".

My mistake - but don't delete it. Rename it instead to OnDisable - I've amended it above as well.

I've also added an "ActionList On Enter" field that will run (if set) when a location is entered. To instead use ActionList assets, replace "ActionList" with "ActionListAsset".

To save the arrow states, attach this Remember component to each MiniLocation:

using UnityEngine;
    using AC;

[RequireComponent (typeof (MiniLocation))]
    public class RememberMiniLocation : Remember
    {

public override string SaveData ()
        {
            MiniLocation miniLocation = GetComponent<MiniLocation> ();

MiniLocationData data = new MiniLocationData();
            data.objectID = constantID;
            data.savePrevented = savePrevented;

data.upEnabled = miniLocation.up.isEnabled;
            data.downEnabled = miniLocation.down.isEnabled;
            data.leftEnabled = miniLocation.left.isEnabled;
            data.rightEnabled = miniLocation.right.isEnabled;

return Serializer.SaveScriptData <MiniLocationData> (data);
        }

public override void LoadData (string stringData)
        {
            MiniLocation miniLocation = GetComponent<MiniLocation> ();

MiniLocationData data = Serializer.LoadScriptData <MiniLocationData> (stringData);
            if (data == null) return;
            SavePrevented = data.savePrevented; if (savePrevented) return;

if (data.upEnabled) miniLocation.EnableUp (); else miniLocation.DisableUp ();
            if (data.downEnabled) miniLocation.EnableDown (); else miniLocation.DisableDown ();
            if (data.leftEnabled) miniLocation.EnableLeft (); else miniLocation.DisableLeft ();
            if (data.rightEnabled) miniLocation.EnableRight (); else miniLocation.DisableRight ();
        }

}

[System.Serializable]
    public class MiniLocationData : RememberData
    {

public bool upEnabled, downEnabled, leftEnabled, rightEnabled;

public MiniLocationData () { }

}

• edited January 2023

Thanks for that! I haven't gotten to test the saving because I encountered a bug with the initial script. It's difficult to describe accurately, so I filmed a little screen recording with narration to explain:

https://www.loom.com/share/5cc7e37fcbb14cbcabc12a9921c7fe2b

So, if I were to write down the problem, I guess I would say:

• When two buttons of the same name (whether it's up, down, left, or right) are enabled on different game objects, when clicked, the Move function doesn't "move" to the correctly slotted camera/MiniLocation script. :#

Does that make sense?

As an aside, I added UpdateMenu on each public void enable/disable for obvious reasons. Like this:

public void EnableUp () { SetDirectionState (up, true); UpdateMenu ();}

public void DisableUp () { SetDirectionState (up, false); UpdateMenu ();}

I look forward to sorting this out. Thanks!

• When two buttons of the same name (whether it's up, down, left, or right) are enabled on different game objects, when clicked, the Move function doesn't "move" to the correctly slotted camera/MiniLocation script

Thanks for the video. I wonder if it's a case of the click being processed for both locations (i.e. clicking "up" is processed for the location that follows).

We can test this out by simply having a delay when switching location. Create a new Cutscene with an e.g. Engine: Wait Action of 1s, and assign it to each MiniLocation's ActionList On Enter field.

As an aside, I added UpdateMenu on each public void enable/disable for obvious reasons.

The issue with that is that it'll update the UI even if the location you're updating isn't the one currently shown. I've added a static variable to the script above that keeps track of the active location, so that UpdateMenu will only be called if there's a match.

• edited January 2023

Thanks. First, the static variable you added works great. Previously, I added the "UpdateMenu" function because if you were to enable a direction arrow through an actionlist, it wouldn't activate that arrow until OnEnter was run again. But your solution works great. I can now enable an arrow through an actionlist and when gameplay resumes, it's enabled.

Now, I tried the Engine:Wait suggestion... same issue. Interestingly (and this occurred even during my last post but I left it out), when on MiniLocation 3, clicking the up arrow (or pressing w) will not go to MiniLocation 4. It's as if it's stuck between 1 and 3. Up on 1 goes to 3. Down on 3 goes to 1, but up on 3 goes nowhere (here's a demonstration):

https://www.loom.com/share/aa350e0b6e3e47ebbd0d2d5e3718806e

This is also the case if I disable GameObject 3 completely, and make 2 go to 4. It'll get stuck between 1 and 4 then, and won't progress to 5. If that makes sense.

I'm not a great coder (trying to get better), but nothing seems awry to me as I look at the MiniLocation script. Even so, I have a question about Unity:

• Is Unity going vertically (up to down) through the hierarchy and looking for scripts to run?
    • If so, could this affect how multiple versions of the same script run? Kind of like having multiple character controllers in the same scene?

I look forward to hearing back. I know I've said it before, but it bears repeating; I appreciate you taking a bit of time each day to respond. :)

--

Also, not sure if you use GitHub, but my project is in GitHub (I use GitHub desktop). I could temporarily add you to the project. Let me know.