Forum rules - please read before posting.

Subtitles

Hi there,
I'm looking for a way to create a text box in the bottom of the screen.
When a player starts a scene, general information will be presented there.
I tried several options but can't get it just right.
How can I create a text box? I'd love for the text to be scrolled automatically in the beginning of each scene (I will try to play an audio narration along with it).
Thank you

Comments

• If you want text-scrolling and audio to play at the same time, using regular speech and subtitles is the best way to go.

If a Dialogue: Play speech Action has no associated speaking character, it will be considered as "narration", and can be displayed differently in your UI. A Subtitles menu can be set to only display either narration, or character speech.

If you want character speech to appear differently, you could limit your current Subtitles menu to just show character speech, and create a separate Subtitles menu that just shows narration.

A Subtitle menu's For speakers of type property can be used to limit what kind of speech it will display for. Duplicate your current menu, name if Narration, and set this field to Narration Only. You can then configure its appearance to have it show at the bottom of the screen.

• Thank you for your answer.
    As for now, I somehow managed to not see the text altogether. All the dialogue boxes in the hotspots work, but when I press on them, the game pauses as if the text is there but I can't see it. Any ideas? (I'm new to this, sorry).

And how can I choose the font of a text? I only found this option for the Label menus.

All the best

• All the dialogue boxes in the hotspots work, but when I press on them, the game pauses as if the text is there but I can't see it.

Do the speech lines have audio? If not, you may have altered your Subtitle menus to not display narration text.

If you can share screenshots showing your speech Actions, as well as the properties of your various Subtitle menus, I'll try to see what's wrong.

And how can I choose the font of a text? I only found this option for the Label menus.

Speech text is displayed in Label elements - if the Menu's Source is set to Adventure Creator, you can configure the Font of any Label type.

If they instead use Unity UI, you can set the Font directly within the Text component of the Menu's UI prefab.

• Thank you. This helps. Here's the link for the images. Please let me know what did I do wrong :s
    You're doing an incredible service.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10MQrk1HiWHB3Mrm9CjqzNdpjoKqZRsoT?usp=sharing

• The Menu's Appear type is set to Manual. Set it instead to When Speech Plays.

Doing so will allow the For speakers of type property to display underneath. Set this to Narration Only to have it then only show up for speech lines that have no assigned character.

• Thank you! I can see the SubsLineLabel, but not the Line text dialogue text in the hotspots (Dialogue-Play speech). The text just disappeared. I think I must have marked something I shouldn't have.

• Best to see updated screenshots along with the speech Action. If you've affected the "For speakers of type" field, then it'll only show up for speech lines that match the conditions you've set.