Forum rules - please read before posting.

Prevent game pause during cutscenes

Hello. How do I disable the ability to open the pause menu during cutscenes, or skip cutscenes when pressing the pause menu button without opening the menu itself?

Comments

• edited November 2019

Welcome to the community, @Castaneis.

How do I disable the ability to open the pause menu during cutscenes

The default Pause menu's Appear type field is set to On Input Key. You can prevent a Menu from turning on under normal circumstances by locking it. This is done with the Menu: Change state Action, setting the Method to Lock Menu.

However, a better method would be to instead rely on Active Inputs to control the menu's display. Active Inputs are a way of running ActionLists whenever a certain input button is pressed, and you can use ActionLists to turn the menu on/off manually. The advantage here is that Active Inputs can be limited by "game state" - so you can have your Input only react during Gameplay, and not during Cutscenes.

If you set the Appear type to Manual, then the Menu will be controlled entirely with the Menu: Change state Action (setting the Method to Turn On and/off Turn Off).

Up in the top toolbar, choose Adventure Creator -> Editors -> Active Inputs Editor, and you can then define a new Active Input to run these Actions when your desired input button is pressed. Set this new Input's Input button to Menu (so that it's the same that was used to toggle the Pause menu by default), and create a new "ActionList when triggered".

In this ActionList, start with a Menu: Check state Action to check if the Pause menu is on or not. If it is on, have it then run a Menu: Change state Action to turn the Pause menu off. If it's off, run a different Menu: Change state Action that turns it on. Something like this:

Then just make sure the ActionList itself doesn't turn the game into a Cutscene by setting its When running field (at the top of its Inspector) to Run In Background.

This method is a bit more complicated if you want to involve the other pause menus e.g. Options etc, because you'll need to turn them off as well in this ActionList - but this method gives you much more control over how/when the Menu button has an effect.

For more, see the Manual's "Active inputs" chapter.

skip cutscenes when pressing the pause menu button without opening the menu itself?

Skipping cutscenes occurs when the user presses the "EndCutscene" input. If this is mapped to the same key that is used to toggle the Pause menu, then the steps above should be enough - since the Active Input will not be reactive during cutscenes.

• I'm following these steps, as I don't want a certain menu to be available during cutscenes.
    However, I need that menu to pause gameplay, and then I can't hide the menu again. **Menu:Change state -> turn off menu ** only works if I uncheck pause gameplay in the menu in question. Which won't work for other reasons.

(I've checked "run in background" for the action list, as you prescribed.)

• Make sure that the Active Input's Available when game is property include Paused, so that it responds when the game is paused. If need be, you can separate the logic into two separate inputs that kick in either when in gameplay or when paused.

• Great! I thought including Paused would counteract what I was going for, namely Preventing it from appearing during cut-scenes, but that was not the case.

Thanks!