Forum rules - please read before posting.

"Hold Key" QTE's fail state only occurs after the "duration (s)" has elapsed

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, if I let go of the key I'm supposed to keep pressed during a QTE sequence, it doesn't immediately fire off the fail state until the "Duration (s)" has elapsed.

For example, I'm supposed to hold E while I rotate a wheel that drains water (Like in Half Life 2) It must be held down for 5 seconds (Required duration) If I do this, the win state triggers correctly. But if I let go of the key after, say 2 seconds, instead of triggering the fail state, the wheel keeps on turning until "Duration" has elapsed, and after that, it resets the wheels position and gives me the failed QTE message.

If I set the Duration less than Required Duration (say D = 3s, RD = 5) the win state never happens - it fails after 3 seconds.

How can I make it so that letting go of the key before RD has elapsed immediately triggers the fail state/condition is not met?

Comments

• edited September 2023

Have you set the release behaviour to "fail"?

That should immediately fire off a failed state if you let go of your button.

You have the Duration & Required Duration mixed up, Duration is the available time, and required duration is the time the button has to be pressed. If the Duration is lower than the required time it can never be solved :smiley:

I've set myself up a little test QTE, try it like in the Screenshot (and replace it with your setup buttons of course), and let me know if it works:

• You have the Duration & Required Duration mixed up, Duration is the available time, and required duration is the time the button has to be pressed.

No I know, that's what I'm doing (Duration is higher in mine, I was just giving an example of the reverse)

The example in your screenshot is also exactly how I've set it up.

But, letting go of the key before RD doesn't fire the Fail option right away - it waits until D is done, which is the unexpected behavior. :/

• Oh I just noticed I don't have some of the options in your screenshot - maybe I need to update my AC. Will do that and see if it makes a difference!

• @snan Updating AC fixed it! I didn't even have the "Release Behavior" field in the previous version, so couldn't set it to fail then.

• Awesome, good to hear :)