Forum rules - please read before posting.

Best Way for AC Dialogue during Cinema Director Sequence

Hi,

yesterday I tried the combination AC & Cinema Director for the first time and it is really cool. Creating cutscenes in CD seems more convenient. What I am struggling with is dialogue in cutscenes.

I would like to use AC dialogue due to translatability and lip sync and portraits. What I do currently is in an action list: 
  • Start CD cutscene, don't wait until finish
  • Pause 3s
  • Play speech
  • Pause 4s
  • Play speech
  • Hope everything is somehow in sync
While that works it is really hard to get the timing correct. Is there a way from CD to trigger AC dialogue?

What I would love to have is a CD event that will advance my actionlist one item forward, so that I can replace all "pause" steps above with "wait for CD event". Is that possible? This would make it super easy to use actionlists in combination with CD.

Cheers, Robert

Comments

• You would need to ask the CD team, since you're looking to have it talk to AC - rather than the other way around.

To run an AC Cutscene, you just need to run it's "Interact" function.  There should be a way for CD to send an "Interact" message to a custom object.

Alternatively, have you tried running a CD Cutscene in parallel, and just having the pause / speech / pause etc in a separate branch.  Take a look at the "ActionList: Run in parallel" Action.
  • edited August 2015
    I have found a way now to combine AC and CD quite nicely by using a custom action that waits for an event from CD before continuing. That way I can precisely time when the dialog should appear in CD and all dialog and AC actions can be inside one actionlist which makes it very convenient!

The only thing that I cannot work out yet are the cameras. If I start the game without the CD sequence, everything is nice and my main camera shows the game.

Now in the OnStart actionlist I start the CD sequence. 
    • If I check "Override AC camera" the intro play nicely but once done the main camera is turned off and no camera is active. 
    • If I don't check the option the CD cameras are ignored (no matter if I put an AC camera on them or not) and only the main camera is shown the whole time.
    Has anybody here a working example of how to configure the cameras? How do I get AC to nicely transition back from a CD sequence?
  • AC's MainCamera should re-enable itself once the CD cutscene is over (by calling AC.KickStarter.mainCamera.Enable ()).  Check that it's state is correct in the Inspector - though it could be that the Cinema Director camera needs to be disabled at the end of the cutscene.
  • The mainCamera is indeed disabled. I have not set "Wait for finish" in the CD third party action. Could that be the issue and if yes what would be the proper way to solve that? Do a "Run in parallel" and don't uncheck wait for finish?
  • The Action can't re-enable the camera afterwards if you don't tell it to wait for the CD cutscene to finish.  An ActionList: Run in parallel should solve that for you.  Then again, all it really needs to do is call AC.KickStarter.mainCamera.Enable (); if you're looking to do it custom.