Forum rules - please read before posting.

Complex menus or separate scenes

hey guys!

I'm a little bit lost here, trying to figure out what's the best approach for building on-game puzzles to be opened in front of our scene, like the one you see in the image.: when the player jumps into the cockpit of the plane, the panel appears (like a menu) and we must interact with the buttons in order to find out how to start the engine. Once it's done, the panel is closed and we can keep going.
My question is not about how to write the logics for the puzzle but rather how would you approach the creation of these kind of complex interactive elements to be incorporated into the scene: should we use a menu? a separate scene maybe with more possibilities regarding the mechanics of the puzzles?
Thanks a lot for you help!

Comments

• edited September 2015
    It looks like a pop-up screen-sprite, and that is how it should be treated.
    At least that's what I do for my puzzles. Same scene, just make move into the center of the screen from outside of it.
  • Hi SkyTree thanks for your answer.
    So you treat the puzzle as any other part of the scene (with its triggers, hotspots, interactions, etc) and just show it on top of everything else when needed. Is this right? Would sound like a good sound to me!
  • edited September 2015
    I have a background puzzle sprite, on top of my scene outside of the camera view.  I place all the interactable elements such as hotspots or triggers, other art puzzle sprites, and I child them all to that puzzle background sprite. So yeah, you got the idea :)
    Looking forward to your game screenies.
  • "and just show it on top of everything else when needed."

I did the same thing for my closeups.... just build them in the same scene outside the view (with their own cams) and cut to the camera as needed.
  • Cool, thanks guys!
    I still have to decide if I will have my puzzles over the screen or really in separate cameras. Thanks a lot indeed for your help!