Forum rules - please read before posting.

Input (sort-of) disabled during speech

Hi all,

I'm encountering an interesting little problem in my game, and I'm trying to figure out its cause.
Basically, if I have a speech play in background, the player character can't walk, simple as that.
A few interesting observations:
  • This happens with both NPC speech as well as PC speech.
  • Notice I said the character can't walk; the weird thing is that the character can run normally if I double-click, it's only single-click that does absolutely nothing.
  • This only happens when I have the "Display speech forever until user skips it?' toggled ON (Game Edtor > Speech tab > Subtitles submenu). (As a side note, having this toggled On does not affect background speech for me, I'm assuming this is intended?)
The quickest solution would be to simply leave the "Display speech forever" unchecked, but that will affect all other text as well, which is a no no. Unless there's a way to temporarily toggle this switch just before and after the particular speech, which I'm missing at the moment.

I've confirmed this happens in 1.46 as well as 1.48a, both with unmodified as well as my slightly modified PlayerInput.cs and PlayerMovement.cs scripts. Currently running Unity 5.0.0, AC 1.48a.

Any input on this would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Kostas

Comments

• Thanks - this could be a bug, but I'll need to see the way in which
    you're playing such speech in the first place.  Would you mind posting a
    shot of the Action in question, as well as the properties of the
    ActionList, as shown at the top of it's Inspector?
  • Hi @ChrisIceBox,

thanks for having a look, here are the screenshots:

1. ActionList Properties:

2. Dialogue Action:

3. This problem even happens when I trigger a dialogue from a simple "hotspot:examine" Interaction, this one for example:

Cheers
  • Thanks for the info, I'll get back to you on this.
  • Problem recreated and fixed.  Unfortunately, the fix requires quite a few minor changes to multiple scripts, so I'm afraid I can't give you steps to solve it in the meantime, however do expect this to be included in the next release.
  • Glad it's not just me then, thanks for letting me know. I'm not in a particular hurry, next update sounds perfect, cheers!