Forum rules - please read before posting.

Quest log?

edited June 2015 in Technical Q&A
How would one go about quest menu log?

I have a quest log. I need to add different quest text lines images as the game is progressed and once they are completed check them with another check image. How not to lose which quest needs to be marked, be cause they might be added in a different order.

Something like this image

Comments

• That's more of an RPG element than pure adventure.  AC isn't equpped to do that, so you'd have to look into adding on a separate asset for that.
  • edited June 2015

Just wanted to return to the subject.

Chris, I believe you can push AC a step further.

I can easily achieve this by making a horizontal specific category inventory
    on the left side with say about 10 triangle slots.

And then I could create items with specific category which would go to
    that inventory.

The items will be triangle .png sprites of text and maybe some graphics too.
    Then on the right side I could create the menu's of my quests.

So when I pick quest 1 item, I will see it on the page, then I click on the
    item in the inventory, I will open the menu with the description of the
    quest.  And when the quest is complete remove the item from inventory.
    Easy :)

However, I don't want the complete quests to be removed. I want them to be
    marked/checked as completed.

For that I would need to replace the image of the item in the quest inventory
    for another one with a check mark on it.

And for this I need a feature to replace the image of an inventory item, or I
    could remove the item from the inventory slot and add a new item with the check
    mark on it but I need the inventory order stay the same.

This means if I have 4 quests and if quest 1 is completed, which would be on
    the top of all quests,

then I'd remove quest 1 item but the inventory must not move, so there should
    be an empty slot. And I quickly add a new item with a check mark into slot 1,
    thus replacing the quest 1 item.

I believe this kind of feature has been asked few times.

Someone mentioned that he has some paper item and when something is written on
    the paper, he says he should replace that empty paper for the written one but
    the items order slots should stay the same.

E.g. if you have 4 items: umbrella, paper, coin, shoe.

You write something on the paper. it should go umbrella, paper, coin, shoe.
    But as of now if you remove paper and add your new written paper it would go
    like: umbrella, coin, shoe, paper.

Does it make any sense?

I think it would push AC to the next level where people would be able to add
    quest logs in other genres like, quests, RPG etc.

Cheers

• Correction:

I can easily achieve this by making a VERTICAL specific category inventory
    on the left side with say about 10 triangle slots.
    :)
  • That's a creative way of getting around it!

v1.46 introduced the ability to replace inventory items using the Inventory: Add or remove Action - letting you swap an item with another in the same slot.  This would be the best way, rather than changing the item's graphic or something, because you can use the Inventory: Check Action to determine if a quest has been completed.
  • You've brought me back to this thread, but I don't know what you're asking for here.  You can already make a vertical specific category inventory, correct?

Have you looked into the recent Inventory properties feature?  You can assign variables to inventory items per category: the intention being that you can retrieve those properties to customise features how you see fit - a quest log being a perfect example.
  • No. I'm cool. I just thought I'd ask if it is in near future.
  • edited June 2017
    Hi @SkyTree,
    Did you manage to create a quest log in the end?
    I've got the same problem just looking around for solutions at the moment,

Cheers,
    D
  • I made a simple "order list"/quests in my game, resembling what you you see in HayDay etc, where I'm pretty much using the menu:change state actions.
    When the quest has been completed and "Claim reward" button will appear and a checkmark.

I didn't use the Inventory Solution, but relied on labels.

1. In the menu manager, I created a menu with labels and placed the graphics on top including the claim rewards for each quest.

2. In the menu manager for your questlog menu, Actionlist when turn on, click Create
    This one will be used to check and hide the claim reward button, checkmark etc.

Menu: Change state and Hide Menu Element (all the elements that you don't to show before the quest has been completed)
    Hook to a Variable: Check (In my case it is to see if the user has reached 10.000 score)
    If condition is met Menu: Change State and Show menu Element and here you show the checkmark, claim button etc.

3.if you want to have a claim reward, choose clicktype: actionlist and below create an actionlist to run
    In my example I'm adding money to the player using Inventory: add
    hooking that to a menu: change state and Hide Menu Element and I'm hiding the button

Using the inventory solution, you will be able to "scroll" but it will have to be graphics. The principle is the same. 
    I didn't find it suitable since I have ie "Find 10 four cloves" or "Get 20000 points"
    If there is a way to have both graphics and text scrolling, as far as I can see the scroll only works on one element.