Forum rules - please read before posting.

Puzzle type

edited June 2016 in Engine development
Hello,

I am thinking on how to approach a puzzle type where the user has a circle divided into 4 pieces. He has to push / click each piece in the right order and for a certain x times so that the puzzle is successful.

Something like 1 - 1 - 1 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 2 - 2 - 3

There are no arrays in variables otherwise this would be really easy. I have seen something similar here http://www.adventurecreator.org/forum/discussion/4486/puzzle-sequence

The suggestion I guess follows more or less the idea of saving the amount of times the user has "pressed". So if the user has pressed 0 he has to press the first quarter, if he has pressed 4 times he has to press the 4th quarter etc.

Also would ofc have to check the last click and if that is 3 than Successfully finish the puzzle.

is a custom script more adequate? And if so why? And would a custom script work for puzzles if there are some samples for future reference would be great;)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Best regards
Joao Garin

Comments

• edited June 2016
    I love variables. Use varaibles, and check for the right one then do smth. if it meets the conditions if not set a new variable value.

At the start of all your actionlists after your set a new varaible send a check for the final variable correct combination button puzzle done check whatever you named it :D

So basically increment your varable of your puzzle piece 1 with every click and check for all 4 pieces variables after for the right combination. In total you have 4 varaibles that you play with.

Make sure to set up reset puzzle actionlist if the wrong combination is pressed and reset all 4 variables to zero.

If you have a lot of objects, like hundreds,  that need same but slightly changed actionlists use Parameters.

• thanks for your suggestion, yeah I think variables for this one is the way to go.!;)