Forum rules - please read before posting.

Conversation UI Controller Selection

edited February 2015 in Technical Q&A
Hello,

I am developing a controller-focused game, and I have noticed a few issues with the Conversation UI.

1) Conversation Bug: I am not able to scroll up or down using the joystick vertical axis until after I have clicked an option with the mouse.  Then future conversation dialogs in that sequence are responsive to vertical axis selection.

2) Conversation Bug: When selecting an option using joystick vertical axis selection, the player can select items that do not exist.  Ie, if the player is currently at the top of the list, pressing up will make the selection bar disappear until they press down again.

3) Low priority Subtitles feature request:  Variable text scrolling speed / text delays.  Sometimes I'd like to delay a portion of text to show the character is speaking more slowly.

For an example of this, here is a scripted sequence from a gamejam I did a while back.  Note the pauses at 1:27, 1:33, and 1:46.  (In RPG Maker, this is triggered by putting delay control codes into the text itself.)

~

Since I'm new to Adventure Creator, the bugs may be user error -- please let me know if I missed a step somewhere :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Welcome to the forum, @Sim9.

1/2) Are you using Unity UI, and so Unity's EventSystem to detect joystick movement?  Conversations don't actually scroll in the normal way - you have to create "shift up" / "shift down" buttons beside it.  I'm not actually too sure how much of an AC vs Unity issue this is, so I'll need more info about it, please.

3) Tokens can be used to break up game text.  See section 10.3 for a full list of tokens available when writing speech text.
  • Thanks!  Excited to learn more about AC :)

#2 [resolved] - During project setup, I selected to use the Unity UI option and imported the sample UIs.  So, 'scrolling' may not be the right word.  This is more navigation between buttons.  I've managed to solve issue #2 by switching the conversation buttons to Explicit mode and manually linking the conversation buttons together (before that, visualize showed the navigation path going off into nowhere).

#1, This seems to be an issue of no button receiving focus when the conversation menu pops up.  Is there a way to specify a 'default' button to receive focus on menu display?  Perhaps through an actionlist command?

#3, Nice!  I am in particular looking forward to playing with [continue], some very interesting possibilities there!  Is there any way to specify less than one second to [wait:x]?  Sometimes one second is just a touch too long.

#4, New issue:  I am able to highlight two buttons at once.  I start by using the joystick navigation to highlight a button, and then I can also mouse over a different option.  Both will be shown as selected.  Ideally, if the mouse causes a button to highlight, the active joystick selection will change to the new button.

• #1, I'll look into some way of handling this - it may be possible.

#3, Again, I'll consider it

#4, I believe this is a Unity UI issue (more likely a "best practice" one, rather than a bug), since Unity handles the selection/highlighting of elements like this.  You might have luck on the Unity forums with this - otherwise I'll let you know if I turn anything up myself when looking into #1.
  • edited May 2016
    This might be a little late, but anyways, I had the same issue (#1) where Unity UIs don' get focus when attached to AC, and I fixed it by attaching a script to the main button in the UI (and setting the same button in the slot in the component), and then calling the method when AC opens the menu (using object:send Message):

public class SetUIFocus : MonoBehaviour {

public GameObject MyButton;
    // Use this for initialization
    void Start () {
    MyButton = gameObject;
    }

// function to set the current object as the first selected
    void setUIFocus() {
    EventSystem.current.SetSelectedGameObject(MyButton);

}
    }

Just to be on the safe side I made another script, almost identical, but: 1. changed the method to onClick() and put it on the cancel button of the UI(calling it there on onClick), and 2. changed (MyButton) to = (null), this releases the focus when the menu is closed (you could also just change the MyButton to null and call the new script with an actionlist in the on the action list to run on closing).

Anyway, just my two cents in case anyone has the same issue.
  • Have you tried entering the element you want selected into the Menu Manager's First selected element box, @Alverik?
  • I don't know why, but the space for the first selected doesn't always show up. And anyways, I also had one of those funny moments when you realize you've made something dumb. For a while I was battling to discover why some keys weren't working the way I set them up in Rewired, and it turned out there was a residual save in the control mapper. So, when I deleted the saved data (Rewired's), all the controls started to work fine. There's a chance that might have had to do with the focus issue, but I'm not quiet sure. For now everything is working fine. But, if I make more UIs, which I most probably will, then I'll check if they work fine without hacks. If there's still an issue, I'll let you know.