Forum rules - please read before posting.

Creating a holding screen for loading Speech Asset Bundles

Hello fellow Adventure Creator Creators.

I'm looking into building a scene to sandwich between my title screen and the first scenes of my game proper, whether that's via loading a save or starting a new game, that displays some info, plays an animation and essentially stalls for time while my speech asset bundle is loaded: About 45 seconds, at least when running in the editor.

I understand that the best way to do this is via the onLoadSpeechAssetBundles event, but my relatively neophyte scripting skills are stalling beyond this. Essentially, I want a wait:X action, where X is however long it takes the asset bundle to load, and then we switch scene either to the start of the game or the autosave.

Has anyone used something similar in their game, and how did you go about it?

Any help greatly appreciated. Happy game developing!

-Martyn-

Comments

• Tricky.

The OnLoadSpeechAssetBundle event is triggered after a bundle is loaded - and the current language's bundle is automatically loaded when the game begins.

On top of disabling this default behaviour and loading it manually - which is a case of calling KickStarter.runtimeLanguages.LoadAssetBundle () - you'd also need to disable the scene-switching so that you can manually do so later. Which would first be a case of only loading saves using the Save: Save or load Action so that you have the option of preventing the load of the new scene.

If this is a reaction to having to wait 45 seconds for the bundle to load, I'd recommend first looking into ways to reduce that time. Aside from optimising your audio assets, perhaps involving Unity's audio streaming options, it may be that the Addressable system is faster - which AC also supports when it comes to voice files.