Forum rules - please read before posting.

Live crossfade camera effect

Hey Chris, a while ago, you said a "live" crossfade effect was something you'd like to consider in the future. Are you still considering it as an AC feature?

The way I picture it working would be to duplicate the main camera temporarily (in order to use all the extra components/effects the user might have added to it), and continuously render it to the crossfade texture. Once the transition is done, destroy the duplicate camera. Would this be a feasible feature?

Comments

• I have given it some thought, and you're quite right that it would have to involve other components that make up your effects - as well as anything required by your render pipeline.

However, duplicating components at runtime is very hacky - if it works at all - so I feel it's likely best left to the user to provide a second camera with the required components already attached to it.

This camera could be set to render a texture, which gets overlaid on top of AC's MainCamera by a decreasing amount over time. A similar trick using Cinemachine is discussed here.

• edited April 2021

Ah right! Well, that could simply be the case of adding the components to the original camera (the one attached to the main one) as well, right? Normally that would not do anything (since the main camera only gets a few select component values from it), but if we are rendering the texture through the attached camera, then adding the same components as the main one would do the trick. Then the user wouldn't even need to provide a second camera.

• Good point!