Forum rules - please read before posting.

Conversation Issue--won't display NPC name or character portrait

Hi Chris (or anyone else out there who's willing),

Using Unity Ver. 2020.3.16f1. Trying to create a typical conversation in AC, one between the player and an NPC. As far as I can tell, I've followed all tutorials I've come across on the subject to a T. When I preview, things start out just fine--NPC says something, my player responds, all displays correctly--but then when it gets to my NPC's next line, it displays as if I haven't selected either a player or an NPC--the line flashes (instead of scrolling), no name or character portrait are displayed.

I have scrolled through my dialogue string in the ActionList Editor meticulously and cannot locate anything that separates the following "play speech" actions from the first two.

When I set up my player using the character wizard, it gave me some note about my trying to set up a 2D character in a 3D game. I do not remember setting up the game this way, nor do I know how to change this setting. The entire game is supposed to be 2D. Could this be part of the problem? Only thing I can think of. Or maybe it's a problem with this version of Unity. Come to think of it, the issue did start right after I upgraded.

Any kernel of knowledge that could pinpoint me in the right direction would be massively appreciated. Frustrating to get this far and be stopped by something stupid like this!

Cheers,

Max

Comments

• God, I feel like an idiot. :s Just had the dawning realization that my NPC was somehow set as a player. Doh! All is running smoothly now. Completely disregard the previous post!