Forum rules - please read before posting.

Pathfinding through menu?

edited December 2023 in Technical Q&A

EDIT: never mind, solution found. I had a 'Graphic Raycaster' component with a blocking mask set to 'Everything'.

All my menus are working and reacting to clicks as intended, but I have one specific narration menu (Unity UI) that is supposed represent the player's internal monologue as they walk through the scene, and it'd be too much of a hassle if it blocked gameplay, etc. I want it behave like a narration 'bark', essentially.

I've mostly got it working the way I want it to: it doesn't block gameplay, and instead of clicks skipping the speech line (as my game is configured to do during 'real' speech between characters, using a different menu), the player is free to click around the environment without the lines being skipped. The lines are always displayed for a set amount of time during gameplay, and then they fade out.

So far so good. The only issue I'm having is that this menu sometimes is displayed over areas the player might want to walk to, and the menu blocks the point-and-click pathfinding. The player can still click and pathfind to any area outside the menu - the problem is really just the area of the menu becoming temporarily inaccessible. I've tried adding the entire menu to Ignore Raycast (it wasn't there previously) without any luck. I've also trying toggling "Ignore input?" on and off.

Is there a way to make this narration menu 'transparent' to clicks? I'm using the latest version of AC and Unity 2021.2.7f1.