Forum rules - please read before posting.

Character size variation in 2D World Space workflow

edited November 2014 in Engine development
Hey,

Need some help :)
So in our game, characters move in 3D space with the navmesh in front of the background, like described in the "World Space" mode here http://adventurecreator.org/tutorials/overview-2d-workflow-modes

This is handy for most of the perspective between sprites, but sometimes our backgrounds (which can be quite toony) have some extreme, unrealistic proportions. So a door that looks far away, using the natural perspective, would need a REALLY long navmesh for the character to resize appropriately and it would talk a really long walking time for him to get to the door. 

We've managed to trick this sometimes by inclining the navmesh/collision box, but it's not always ideal.  I wondered if you had any suggestions/tips on how to handle this?
I reckon that actually resizing the character as he goes there would be the best way. 

Comments

• I achieved some good results using a Sorting Map in combination with the perspective. I'm now  wondering how could we use two sorting maps, one for scaling when moving along the Z axis and one for scaling when moving along X axis in a certain area. 
  • Don't forget that you can change the active Sorting Map with the Engine: Manage scene settings Action.

However, I wouldn't actually recommend using World Space mode for this type of art style: as it's intended for ensuring "true" perspective rather than any forced scaling, it wouldn't be ideal if your backgrounds have unrealistic proportions.  The whole point of World Space mode is to ensure a 1:1 accuracy when it comes to perspective.
  • Right! That may do.

I understand how it's not ideal @ChrisIceBox, but it's the best mode for our lighting, which depends in 3D positioning them.