Forum rules - please read before posting.

Best implementation of Spine/Spriter Export?

I'm looking at both tools to purchase, and am not sure which export to Unity is easier for 2D Adventure Creator. Spine uses a MeshRenderer and a Skeletal animation script, while Spriter creates multiple child 2D sprite with a prebuilt animation controller.

Given that while working in 2D, it seems like the character sprite links to one child sprite only, I'm not sure the best way to handle this.

Of course, both of them export to basic sprite sheets, which might be the route to go.

Any input would be fantastic :D

Comments

• AC requires a "sprite child", so that it can keep the sprite facing the camera while the character's root rotates - but that doesn't mean the sprite child can't have children of it's own.  The animation engine setting "Sprites Unity Complex" allows you to pass parameters to a custom Mecanim controller, which will hopefully be enough.

If not, the upcoming 1.42 release makes it considerably easier to implement custom motion controllers.  My notes on this can be found here.
  • Alright, I'll give it a shot when I can! Thanks for the help!

Awesome product <3
  • Hi Confirm4Crit,

In the end did you go for Spine or Spriter? Are you using spritesheets or individual parts with skeletons?

I am looking into a similar issue and would like to know your opinion. Thanks!
  • I actually ended up never trying. I had a busy semester of school and work, and just kinda didn't worry about it.

If you're asking between Spine and Spriter, I think it depends how much you need. I can't remember which, but one of them gives you libraries to modify the animations in your game pretty easily (I think it was spine). Spriter's free version had all I need though, because I could just dump it to a sprite sheet if I didn't want to use Spriter's controller.

I bet either one is managemable given Chris' comment, and it'll come down to what you need, and what's easier.