Forum rules - please read before posting.

Is it possible/Feature request: Verb Coin GUI as in Curse of Monkey Island?

edited May 2014 in Engine development
The instructions are a bit vague on GUI set up. I am not sure if I need to use another GUI system within the game, if that is even possible with AC, or if I would need to create the GUI via AC. If so, how would I set up a simple verb coin GUI? Is this possible? Is there a tutorial for that that I am not seeing? If it is not possible, I would love to make a feature request to include this in AC as well as creating other GUI Types(Lucasarts and Sierra 2D GUI's). Thanks.

Comments

• edited May 2014
    Hey jdiperla

It is possible but as far as i know, its not documented. Are you familiar with AC? if not ill provide you with easy to follow guide.

Here it is.

1. First thing first, you need to change the Interraction system to a Monkey Island kind of Interraction in whichyou select an object, than choose your Interraction type.

To do this, you need to go to your Game Editor Panel, choose Settings tab  and then change "Interraction Method"  to "Choose Hot Spot then Interraction"

2. Now you need to a step which will make sense later, go to Cursor Tab,(for the rest of the text, please consider all the tabs are in Game Editor Panel)  when you scroll down there should be a Interraction Icons box. With in this box, you need to create a new icon by clicking at the button at the bottom of the box (Create New icon). The Label name can be whatever you want but texture part you should not touch and shall remain empty.

3. After this, go to MENU Tab. Choose "Interraction" amoung the listed buttons. Now under these buttons thereshould be Menu 'Interraction' Properties. Within this properties there should be a option thats says Position. Change the value in the box to "Appear atCursor and Freeze".

This will cause: whenever you click on a hotspot or any other interractable object, the Interraction menu willappear will stay where it was last clicked/tapped on so you can choose the Interraction Method.

4. Now get yout Coin image (as a whole), Add it as Background texture  (Adjust the size so the menu box will not cut your coin icon.)

5. Now there should be a Interraction Elements menu (if not, scroll down a bit). In this Element Menu there is Look, Use and Talk.(ıt can be named whatever you want and can function however you want, but you should maybe wait a month or so till you understand everything about AC).These Element Menu options each have an image already assigned to them.

In order to Blank them (so you can use your coin's icons) you need to press these buttons and change their Display Types to "Icon Only" and then change Cursor to the Cursor you created. This will empty their icons and leave boxes blank with border around them (dont worry borders wont show)

6. Now you need to adjust every box's size and position based on your background so they will overlap to the corresponding places. (like Talk Interraction button should come over to the Beek of the Eagle on the Coin etc etc).
    So with this step, we set up our basic coin menu :)
    1. In order to have the animation of MouseOver (like , when mouse over the eagle, it opens its beek in Monkey Island 3) you need to have these images ready and cut them as the exact size of the boxes you created for the buttons.

2. Once your done, choose each button and change their highlights to the corresponding highlight image.

Voila now you have a coin with animations on them :)