Forum rules - please read before posting.

My First custom action

I want the player to get a PNG file to save whatever is on the MainCamera (or a piggyback version of it). I'm not interested in the UI/menus, just what the cam shows.

To this end I'm trying to put a bit of C# code in to a custom action.... but things are not going as expected. 
This is what I have tried by following the AC tutorial and using the ActionTemplate.cs

Firstly: 
I have placed a camera called RenderCam as a child of MainCamera and set the Target Texture of RenderCam to a Render Texture in my project called RenderTex. I do this so as to not interfere with the actual MainCamera. This Render Texture appears to give the image desired so if that's a suitable approach it works for me.

Then:
Made a standalone CS script to ensure the Console has no errors. This is the full contents of that Script (this is adapted from the code shown here. http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Camera.Render.html:

================================================================
using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

public class ExampleClass : MonoBehaviour {
Texture2D RTImage(Camera CameratoRender) {
RenderTexture RenderTex = RenderTexture.active;
RenderTexture.active = CameratoRender.targetTexture;
CameratoRender.Render();
Texture2D image = new Texture2D(1920, 1080);
image.ReadPixels(new Rect(0, 0, 1920, 1080), 0, 0);
image.Apply();
RenderTexture.active = RenderTex;
return image;
// Encode texture into PNG
var bytes = image.EncodeToPNG();
// For testing purposes, also write to a file in the project folder
System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes(Application.dataPath + "SavedScreen.png", bytes);
Destroy (image);
}
}
================================================================

When I try to place the relevant portions of code in the ActionTemplate file I knock out the bits which are obviously not needed, change the relevant identifiers from ActionTemplate to my own. So far so good, but.... lastly I try to place the script to run in the spot at line 40 of the ActionTemplate   (* This function is called when the action is performed.)

I get all KINDS of console errors. I know I'm doing something wrong but I'm the first to admit I'm a weak coder and so I'm really stuck.

Am I going about this the right way in the first place and if so, what part of the above CS script needs to go where in the ActionTemplate.

Has anyone made a similar action/script in an AC game to get a file saved based off the camera.

Comments

• Without seeing the actual code or console error it's hard to give advice!  Then again, I do recall that the ReadPixels feature only working if you've waited until the end of the frame - something you can't do from an Action directly.

Instead, what you'd want to do it keep your downloaded (non-Action) code in a separate script, and write a new function inside that called Interact(), which does the job (i.e. calls the RTImage function or whatever).  You can then simply use the Object: Send message Action to send the Interact message to your script, without needing to write a custom action.
  • Heh oops! I should know better. I had pasted the code but the forum post limit kicked in and so I pasted the short bit of custom code instead. 

Anyway. Your Interact() suggestion seems more noob-code-test friendly so I'll give that a shot.

Ta.
  • Success :)

I do get a console error (only occurs at runtime but doesn't prevent render from saving). I have included an empty game object in the scene and attached the ScreenGrabA.cs script to it.

The console error goes like this:
    =========================================================================
    Instance of ScreenGrabA couldn't be created. The the script class needs to derive from ScriptableObject.
    UnityEngine.ScriptableObject:CreateInstance(String)
    AdventureCreator:RefreshActions() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/Editor/AdventureCreator.cs:426)
    AdventureCreator:OnEnable() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/Editor/AdventureCreator.cs:45)
  • edited June 2015
    Here is the contents of ScreenGrabA.cs

==============================================================
    using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;

public class ScreenGrabA : MonoBehaviour {
    public int resWidth = 3840; 
    public int resHeight = 2160;

public static string ScreenShotName(int width, int height) {
    return string.Format("{0}/screenshots/screen_{1}x{2}_{3}.png", 
                        Application.dataPath, 
                        width, height, 
                        System.DateTime.Now.ToString("yyyy-MM-dd_HH-mm-ss"));
    }

void Interact() {

Camera myCam = Camera.main;
    RenderTexture rt = new RenderTexture(resWidth, resHeight, 24);
    myCam.targetTexture = rt;
    Texture2D screenShot = new Texture2D(resWidth, resHeight, TextureFormat.RGB24, false);
    myCam.Render();
    RenderTexture.active = rt;
    screenShot.ReadPixels(new Rect(0, 0, resWidth, resHeight), 0, 0);
    myCam.targetTexture = null;
    RenderTexture.active = null; // JC: added to avoid errors
    Destroy(rt);
    byte[] bytes = screenShot.EncodeToPNG();
    string filename = ScreenShotName(resWidth, resHeight);
    System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes(filename, bytes);
    Debug.Log(string.Format("Took screenshot to: {0}", filename));

}
    }
  • Is it in your cutsom Actions folder?  Just move it out, and the error should disappear.
  • I had it in a CustomScripts subfolder in the project folder generated by AC's wizard.

I moved it into the root Assets folder and lo: error disappeared.

ta :)