Forum rules - please read before posting.

Animation delay with Mecanim

Hello folks,

quick question. I have just added a Mecanim-based character, all settings are set up properly according to the tutorials, and I have walk and run transitions defined. I'm using a click to move system.

Currently, when I click on a portion of the Navmesh, the character immediately starts moving towards the intended location, but the actual walking animation is delayed by a couple of seconds - and the animation continues for a couple of seconds after the character reaches its target. Its almost as if there is a built in delay of some sort, but I can't find any settings of this nature.

Has anyone experienced this? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• I suggest taking a look at the Animator panel for the character while you are testing and see if the idle animation is transitioning still.  It may be a different issue but it does sound similar to an issue I had here (albeit a different type of animation).

My solution was to add more frequent key frames in the idle animation which appeared to let the transition jump out of the idle anim quicker.
  • Hm... I'll look into that, thanks
  • edited June 2015
    That was indeed the issue! It was being forced to finish the current loop of the anim clip before transitioning, thanks very much :)

I found a better solution than adding keyframes, however. In the inspector tab for the animation state, in the transition itself, is an option for "Exit Time", which was checked by default. This forces the animation state to have a fixed exit time, so it couldn't break out of the state Unchecking this box fixes the issue.

Solved!
  • Brill! I think I tried that but it didn't quite work. But I did only have a single pair of key-frames on a rotating loop.

Mecanim is great but when two competing keys transition it clearly can get iffy with its mathematical outcomes.

Glad you're sorted!