Forum rules - please read before posting.

3D game background.

I'm working on a 3D game that is set in the "outdoor" environment. What would be a good way to hide the fact that the game geometry doesn't go all the way to the horizon? I think in 2.5 this is dealt with by using background sprites. I'm not sure if that will work in my case. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Comments

• This doesn't really have anything to do with AC, but I use Horizon[ON], which is designed to take care of this exact issue. It's far from perfect, and needs a lot of babysitting, but once you've got it figured out, it's pretty powerful.

Of course you could always just do it the old-fashioned way: use fog to figure out a suitable viewing distance, create additional terrain objects around your main terrain, and use some prefabs like trees and rocks to cover up any visible seams. 

Depending on your setup, you could even draw backgrounds directly onto your skybox textures, which would have zero impact on performance (unlike the afore-mentioned ideas).
  • Thank you for the ideas! I was curious if it's possible to have a 2.5 camera in a 3D game, but your suggestions make much more sense :)