Forum rules - please read before posting.

Prefab and Inventory

Hi,

I bought some asset (objects) for a new game in 3d I'm trying to make and everything is in prefabs.

I can place them and everything but when it comes to the inventory I'm stuck.

Normally, I would put the image of the object in the inventory when I create a new inventory item, but if the object is a prefab, how do I go about making it an inventory item?

I really need your help on this one...

Best regards,

Comments

• Inventory items are just images. I'd suggest that you import the FBX from the asset into a 3D application like 3DS Max, Maya, Blender, etc. (Blender is free), apply its materials (if they're not already read from the FBX), and render an image for each item. Even if you're not proficient in 3D, it should be easy to do the following: keep the background blank, apply global illumination, and set up a quick 3-point lighting system to make it look decent. Render it at your preferred resolution and save as a 24-bit png.

Or just take screenshots within Unity, perhaps using a blank canvas background and a nice camera/lighting setup to get the best looking shot. It wouldn't have transparency in that case, though, so it might not look great.
  • Hi Geometrix,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I've been playing with blender and since I'm not able to do anything with it, I went back to a 2d game.

But if I decide to try again, I will read whatever I can find on blender.

Best regards,