Forum rules - please read before posting.

New Game Setup & Compiling

edited May 2016 in Technical Q&A
Hi all,

I am working my way through the tutorial videos (which are great) but just have a couple of questions if thats okay.

Firstly, why do they set the Demo up first before moving on to the actual Evil Lair tutorial? I assume this is not necessary when making your own game? It's just that in the video they load up the demo's straight away without much explanation why? Is it to setup the managers?

Secondly, when it comes to compiling your game should you remove all the Demo folders in the Adventure Creator folder? Surely all the Demo models and stuff will take up unnecessary room? This is kind of a general question for me as all plugins have assets for demo;s contained in their main files, seems strange.

Thanks again for the videos guys! and appreciate any feedback. Happy holidays.

Comments

• Well, when you first create your game you HAVE to setup your managers, they are the files which keep track of all the settings of your adventure creator editor. You could also use the wizard, which is easier or start by using the demo ones and modifying them little by little. You may also need to assign your managers if, say, you are opening a project backup (ie.; making a new project and replacing the content with your backup) and you already have a saved set of manages ready to use, or, if you're updating adventure creator, in which case you "may" need to set them up again (if you didn't follow the tips in the manual, at least). Note, though, that apart from the previously mentioned exceptions, loading the manager's usually only done once per project.

About compilation, I'm kinda new to unity too, but I've compiled a few scenes and checked some blogs, so by what I can tell, unity only compiles what is necessary to run the game, so any unused models or textures shouldn't be too much of a problem (except for the fact that they bloat your project and they can get it to become gigantic in your hard drive... - ie.: Unity keeps imported packages as backups so they take double the space). But then, scripts may be the exception to this rule. Though, I'm not quite all that sure, at least I know from something that happens when you export assets as packages (when, say, you either need to create backup of a scene or project or need to send stuff to a colleague). At such times, unity seems to be unable to tell which scripts are needed for specific objects, so it just selects *all* the scripts in the project... so, there's a chance that, that may happen too when you compile... but again I'm not quite all that sure.
  • edited May 2016
    Unity will include ALL scripts in your project in the build - but in most cases this is not that much of a problem since they don't take up much space compared to sounds and textures.

Scenes not set to be included in your build will ... ehm, not be included, so any assets used in those scenes will not be a problem.

The thing to look out for is "Resources" folders, which WILL be included in all cases, so if you have, say, the AC demos installed, by default the audio files for those will be included, taking up extra space.
  • What the... you mean ALL folders named resources will be included???? I though that was true only if it was in the root Assets folder... Dang...
  • Yup, this is really something to be aware of, especially if you have lots of 3rd party assets with their own demos in your project.
  • Thanks for the responses guys