Forum rules - please read before posting.

Adventure Creator involves programming?

edited July 2014 in Engine development
Sorry for such unusial question, but I need 100% to know!

Comments

• edited July 2014
    Maybe Chris (Adventure Creator err... creator hehe) is more suited to answer, but...

In my point of view (I'm programmer and graphic designer)... nop... You can really create a full adventure game using AC without programming knowledge... And I think that was its main goal.

But it really helps understanding how Unity works in general... assets import, gameobjects, hierarchy, 2D/3D sprites/meshes "language", component scripts (adding and changing their parameters on the inspector, and knowing how a few unity standard components run, not programming new ones), how scenes works and finally how to export binaries for your game.

Of course, AC comes with full source code so you can change anything if you need it (and know how to), program your own actions etc... but normally most of the things are just being asked to Chris, who keeps updating the engine with new stuff every now and then.

I'm a programmer, so at first I added a few things that I missed on the engine... and asked Chris for other features... everything was included on the engine, the asked features, and even the things I never mentioned!.. so right now I would use the engine as it is, without modifying anything.

I hope other users without programming background comments about this, for you to have a more broad vision... :)
  • I agree. I've been trying out AC for a couple of months now, the first time i made a prototype/scene (3d point and click), i was amazed at how powerful and relatively easy it was to use (i've been using Unity for a year and have written a few small scripts).

That being said, to program or not to program really depends on the kind of game you want to make. Right now i'm trying to set up two different gameplay prototypes, the first a classic point and click game (3d); this relies heavily on Mecanim and therefore some programming is involved.

The second is a slow-fast-paced first person adventure (combining AC and UFPS). I've only spent one day on this so far, but it was really easy to set up a working test scene (with xbox controller). Haven't experienced to what extent both assets play nicely together though.