Forum rules - please read before posting.

Camera switches on it's own during cutscene

Hello again!

Once more I am kind of at my wits end (sadly).
I have 2 characters the player can control. In order to switch, I made up a small cutcene where thay talk about the likes of "Hey, check out the enviroment, I'll think about stuff in the meantime".
Then I switch the player, teleport/walk the characters where I need them to be and let the cutscene end.

At first I made it a very big cutscene, showing them walk to the different parts of the Enviroment (the NPC to their waiting spot, the player to their "starting" spot).
Player feedback was, that this takes to long.
So my next take on it was to simply switch to another camera and let the new player simply walk into the shot (all in all it saved 5 seconds time).

Here is my problem now:
As soon as the player switches, to replace the current player character with the new one, it switches to the camera that was used last in the last cutscene.
This happens if I want to "switch" to a new cutscene. If I crossfade to a new cutscene (with time 0) the "last cutscene camera" will be shown for a fraction of a second, and then the new camera is shown.
This also happens if I use no camera whatsoever.

I have no idea where to begin to search for the problem, or what the problem could be. There is no action running in the background at that time and it even happens if I don't skip prior cutscenes.

Has anybody encountered this before?
I try to replicate this with a fresh scene, but if someone knows something it would be great if you could help me out.

Comments

• edited October 2016
    I can't seem to replicate it in this short time...

What else I found out is, that if I play the same cutscene again, the camera it switches to (even though it shouldn't) is the last cam I used in a dialog cutscene.

If I delete every camera switch of the cutscene and play it a couple of times, the first time it will switch to the last used cutscene camera, but the second time it will not switch anymore.

What have I done...

Edit:
    Also, as mentioned before, this happens if I use "switch" with no transition time. If I use crossfade with no transition time it shows the cutscene camera a fraction of a second before it switches to the camera I wanted it to switch to.

Here comes the interesting part. If I use a transition time of 1 while crossfading and waiting until it is finished, it will fade, but as soon as it is done (and the character switches) it will change the camera again. Unchecking "until finished" prevents that.

All in all I can safely say that I have no idea what causes this, and nothing makes sense anymore :D

Edit02:
    Well it turned out that the experiment with the transition time and the crossfade was wrong due to it "remembering" the correct camera after a couple of times.
    Not that it makes more sense to me now, but I thought I mention it.
  • SOLUTION!!

Well this one turned out to be simple.
    Mind you, I still don't know what the actual bug is, but I narrowed it down to the fact that the Player: Switch action does (at least in my case) do something to the camera.

I simply added another Camera: Switch action right behind it.
    No more flicker, and the camera does exactly what I want it to do.

It works and I am to afraid to ask why :D
  • When you switch your active Player, AC will load in any pre-existing saved data that might be stored if you've already played as him.  This includes their inventory, position, and active camera - otherwise you'd need to find a way of tracking which camera they had manually so that you can switch to it in the next Action.  But as you've found, you can override this by calling your own Camera: Switch immediately afterwards.
  • Yeah, the way you explain it makes a lot of sense.
    Especially considering that usually you switch to characters NOT in the same place as the original player.

I haven't found this in the manual when I was looking for causes (when I suspected it was the character switching anyway). Do you think it might be worth adding a sentence or two under the Player: Switch action?
    "AC will load in any pre-existing saved data that might be stored if a previous character was played. This includes their inventory, position, and active camera."

This sentence alone cleared up SO much for me.
  • Yes, fair enough.