Forum rules - please read before posting.

Teamwork in AC

(I didn't know if I should post it in here, or rather in "Extending the Editor", so feel free to move it wherever you guys think it belongs.)

AC is a great tool. I think everybody here knows that.
And since I am the only one, bringing all the things from the different artists together (Graphics, Writing, Sound) it never occured to me that I didn't even know how to tackle development in AC, with 2 or 3 people working inside the tool.

Have you guys had any experience with it? I am mainly interested in, how would the team split the workload in a clever way?
For sure someone can block out the enviroments, save it as a scene and hand it over for someone else to do the walking areas. But what after that?
Someone for all the dialog? Someone for all the logic?

So yeah, how do you guys split up the workload? Or even better: How should I split up the workload to work seamlessly in AC?

Comments

• I'm running solo most of the time, but still try to work in a way that's based on my experience from working in teams on larger software projects - it probably also makes a lot of sense to try to keep things organised as a one man team, at least if you're someone as naturally messy as myself.  :))

I split up the overall game project between several Unity projects with each of them focused on a particular aspect of the project, e.g. "buildings", "props", "scene layout" - and then bring assets into the main project as minimal Unity packages exported from the asset projects.

The main project is under version control (in my case using Git) while all the asset projects are just part of my normal backup scheme - large binary files and version control still don't go together that well ...

Use prefabs for scene objects as much as possible.

Also, when starting a new Unity project, first of all bring in ALL the standard assets. This helps keep things tidy if you're bringing in 3rd party assets that drag old versions of the standard assets with them into the project - it makes it much easier to keep track of things if everything isn't scattered out into various 3rd party folders. Ideally you should never import 3rd party assets directy into you main project.

Enforce a zero tolerance policy with compiler warnings in the main project. The authors of actively maintained 3rd party assets are normally happy to fix these if made aware of them - and for abandoned code assets, just make the necessary changes yourself.

Just a couple of notes - not exactly sure if this was what you were looking for, but I thought I'd share it anyway.
  • So, 5.5 is out, and one of the BIG features is "Colaborate"!
    https://unity3d.com/de/services/collaborate

Seems like it is a Version Control tool (with 5GB Cloud storage) integrated into unity!
    Some students here are already testing it, and while multiple people still can't work on one scene at once, what I saw so far is kinda neat!
    It's still in beta, so I'm really excited on what they bring next.