Forum rules - please read before posting.

[SOLVED] Player vanishing?

edited April 2014 in Technical Q&A
I seem to have a strange problem where when the first level is loaded, the player isn't visible.

If I click for him to walk, the cameras still follow him, despite him being invisible. If I leave to go to the next scene and then come back to the previous scene, the player is completely visible again ( Although the player is set to start at a different PlayerStart once he returns to the scene).

What's odd though is that there are NO problems at all when I simply play it in Unity, this only happens once the game has been compiled and ran.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• That's pretty weird. Is it near collision/navmesh borders maybe? I've had strange occurrences like that when the collider somehow slipped off the navmesh or something. I fixed it by extending it past what you can see onscreen.

I'm also experiencing something maybe related where the player appears above a piece of set geometry that should be blocking him (through order in layer). It only happens when the scene launches. If I walk out from behind it the player flickers until he is clear of it, then any attempt to go back behind the geometry again properly obscures the player.
  • Well I've resolved the problem and but rather confused as to why it hasn't happened before.

It seemed to be down to the PlayerStart marker. It was ever-so-slightly inside the collision cube on the ground which was causing the player prefab to fall straight through. Once I moved it so it wasn't in contact with the collision cube it worked fine...

However, I'm confused because I've had some PlayerStarts within the collision cubes and this has caused no problems. I didn't realise they had to be placed so carefully like that.

Anyhow, problem resolved :)