Forum rules - please read before posting.

Unity 5.6 compatibility

2»

Comments

• Cool. Nice to hear that! Keep us updated just in case.
  • @themightyzq

Glad to hear your issues have been resolved however I use Mixamo for animations and have had no issues with animations or loading of characters into the scene when I've updated to Unity 5.6. I apologise as I'm not really adding anything helpful here however just thought it might be useful to know as this may suggest the issue is elsewhere? However at least you've found a solution (and your solution does point towards the issue being with Mixamo/Unity 5.6 however thought I'd let you know that I haven't had an issue with that).

Let's just hope that I'm not replying in a few hours when I get back from work to let you know that I'm now experiencing the same issue as you haha!
  • @mjbcfc - Ha!  I hope you won't have any issues either!  It very well could have just been a couple of files that became corrupted on update or something like that...I mean, I do have like...36 Mixamo characters in my game and am only having issues with 2 or 3, so it's certainly not across the board.

We shall see!

-z
  • Well, it looks like I might have spoken too soon.  Seems as though sometimes the NPC loads from scene to scene and sometimes it doesn't.  Very odd.
  • But, are the error messages still showing up? It could always be, that they're separate issues both caused by upgrading to Unity 5.6.
  • Yeah, I still get the:

Could not create animation engine!

-> AC debug logger

I'll see if I can isolate further...
  • edited April 2017
    Hi, @themightyzq I now know more about the Could not create animation engine! error. It has a high chance to be thrown by Animation related actions when the character/object to be animated is missing. So, maybe we should just concentrate on finding out why the objects are not being spawned or not loading. Have you tested if the the characters in question work properly in scenes without AC or in a different project? (this is just to rule out issues with the Mixamo characters). Have you seen the error with regular objects? (could try even with an animated cube or something, just to make sure). 

Also, the fact that they worked for a bit after reimporting makes me curious, wonder if it's not a serialization issue (when scripts stop saving new changes or have their saved settings corrupted) or the objects themselves getting corrupted for some reason? Are there any scripts/components in the characters in question, which you haven't removed in a long time? it might be worth it to remove them and add new ones again (replacing a component is the only way to fix a component with serialization issues). By the way, a good sign of serialization issues in a component is, that when you start playmode the script shows different settings than in the editor mode (tends to happen with scripts which have been in a prefab for a long time).
  • I figured it out!  @alverik - when you said "are there any scripts/components in the characters in question" it made me wonder if there was something going on with any prefab/instance relationships.  Sure enough, it looked like one of the versions of the NPC wasn't being updated properly in one of the maps because it had decoupled from the prefab.  I reverted those instances and it looks like I'm in business.  I've check in multiple maps and I'm finally getting this back to working properly.

WHEW.
  • Cool! This issue had been weighing on my mind. Great to hear it works now. Cheers!
  • Thanks for all the help/ideas, @alverik!  I really appreciate it!