Forum rules - please read before posting.

Cursor disappearing outside of a conversation

I have "Display cursor:" set as "Always". None of the hide or lock cursor settings are on. I turned off "disable mouse when directly-controlling Unity UI menus". I'm using the hardware cursor. Despite all of this, the cursor disappears unless it's a conversation. This means the player has to click through dialogue without seeing a cursor until they get to a conversation, when they have to use the mouse cursor to click a conversational choice. It's a bit weird. 

I've been poring through cursor settings in AC but I can't find anything that could be causing this. 

I should note that my game is entirely based around menus and ActionLists. It's essentially just a text adventure game with no movement or "player", so to speak. It's just dialogue with some choice (through conversations) which trigger other dialogue options and some other ActionLists. 

Comments

• The mouse does indeed disappear during cutscenes, and it sounds like your game consists entirely of cutscenes interspersed with choices. I don't think there is a way to change this behaviors. However, I also don't think this would be very weird.

The player has no need for a mouse when watching a cutscene, and the appearance of the mouse is another indicator that it's time for the player to act.

If you set all your cutscenes to play in the background, this would make the mouse remain visible, but then also I don't think the mouse could be used to skip through dialog, so they'd just have to wait for it all to play out, so this is likely not a good solution.
  • If the Conversation's responses are all in gameplay-blocking ActionLists, then your game state will be in "Cutscene" mode for their duration.  You can learn the current game state by enabling the 'AC Status' debug window at the bottom of the Settings Manager.  (In older versions of AC, this is named List active ActionLists in Game window?)

When in Cutscene mode, you must define a separate "Cutscene cursor" in your Cursor Manager.