Forum rules - please read before posting.

Animations interrupted by speech...

I have a few animations that are used, ideally, while people are speaking. For the sake of argument, let's use the "sitting" animation.

The character runs the looped sitting animation, but when she says a line of dialogue, she immediately stands up, returning to her idle state-machine. I don't recall things like this happening before, is this linked to her having an "isTalking" property, something which characters in previous projects didn't use?

As a workaround, I ticked the "Do not Animate" box in the dialogue action, and she remains sitting. I just wanted to check whether this is a suitable long-term solution - by telling it not to animate, are her lips still going to move later when I've added shape keys? Since I've got the Rogo Lip Sync system, will I still be able to trigger animations during lines of dialogue? Have I just generally misunderstood, and there's a tidier way to handle things like "sitting while talking"?

Many thanks!

Comments

• What's your character's animation engine?  By "isTalking property", do you mean the "Talk bool" parameter defined in your character's Inspector and Animator Controller?

If you're using the "Mecanim" animation engine option, then AC will only affect this parameter when character is speaking - so your Animator just needs to be wired up so that if they are playing a "sitting" animation, changing this parameter's value doesn't cause a "stand talking" animation to play.

Post some screenshots of the Animator / Inspector, and we'll try to see what's going on.  Please also let me know the AC and Unity version numbers.
  • It's me, I'm being a doofus here - in my idle state machine (set up to randomise idle animations), there's a trigger set up so that when the "IsTalking" bool is active, it won't do any of the unusual idles (stretching, picking nose), and will stick to the normal ones. This is what's returning it to the idle pose, I'd forgotten about it since I'd built this state machine so long ago, and just and rediscovered the arrow on closer inspection.

Many thanks!