Forum rules - please read before posting.

Walk to stop transition/Anti-'abrupt stop'

Hello, 
So a huge pet peeve of mine that I find jarring in otherwise beautifully charming 2D point and click games is when the Player avatar reaches her/his destination and the animation just cuts straight from the walk cycle to the side animation/idle animation. It's so abrupt that now that I've noticed it I can't un-see it.

It's in most point and clicks, but as an example you can see it here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoNGjr_feJo

Outside of working with a 3D model, or some form of 2D IK setting, what is a fast and easy way (or script?) of perhaps making a pre-rendered 'cool down' animation play, between the walk cycle ending and the idle animation starting when the player has arrived at the destination they have clicked on.

I did a none script based work around by creating an idle animation in which for the first few frames the character lowers his arms and shuffles his feet back to a normal posture and it worked, but then I basically had to make the rest of the frames of him standing still almost infinite so that it wouldn't loop back to that 'shuffle' any time soon and look strange.

I'd love this to be implemented as a feature, as this lack of transition ruins otherwise brilliant hand done frame by frame animation work. 

Any advise/suggestions would be amazing, 
thanks.

Comments

• For anything more involved than basic 2D character animation found in e.g. the 2D Demo, you first of all want to switch your character's animation engine to "Sprites Unity Complex".

Unlike "Sprites Unity", whereby animations are played back using a naming convention, this mode involves AC taking control over certain parameters in your character's Animator (e.g. a "Move speed" float, "Facing angle" float, "Is talking" bool).  It won't play animations by name directly, so you're then free to impement your animation playback however you like.

For example, a "Stop walking left" animation could be inserted in between your "Walk left" and "Idle left" animations when the movement speed drops below a certain level.

How exactly you go about this is more of a user decision because each implementation's needs are unique - but this approach is more in line with the "Unity best practice" way of working.

More details on this mode can be found in the Manual's "Character animation (Sprites Unity Complex)" chapter.  A variant of the 2D Demo's Player character that uses this engine can also be found in the /Assets/AdventureCreator/2D Demo/Resources directory.