Forum rules - please read before posting.

Character will not move in 3D using Point and Click Movement Method

In a new project with just a plane, a cube (wall) and a simple NavMesh I can control TinPot just fine using Direct movement method, but when I try to use Point & Click Movement method nothing happens. I assume I missed something but am not sure what else is needed.

Comments

• Point and Click movement relies on a NavMesh so that the Player can pathfind around the scene.

To set this up for your above scene, select the floor and wall and check "Static" at the top of their Inspectors. Open up Unity's Navigation window and choose "Bake" at the bottom, to cause Unity to bake a blue NavMesh which is the area that the player can move.

Then in the Scene Manager, set the Pathfinding method to Unity Navigation. This will allow him to use this blue NavMesh to pathfind his way around the scene.

Finally, select your floor Plane and place it on the NavMesh layer. This will allow mouse clicks to detect it when pointing-and-clicking around the scene, so that Tin Pot knows where you're wanting him to go.

For more, see the Manual's "Pathfinding methods" and "Unity Navigation pathfinding" chapters. Both the Making a 3D game and Recreating Unity's adventure game video tutorials also cover this method. I recommend the former if you're just getting started with AC in 3D.

• Thanks, Chris! I knew it was something simple (like switching to Direct control and back to P&C without resetting the pathfinding method). Probably should stop making those decisions on so little sleep.