Forum rules - please read before posting.

Facing and animating using the Unity Timeline

Hi there!

I'm investigating the Unity Timeline as an alternative to action lists during more complex cutscenes. I pretty much got camera and speech down from watching this video:

But I'm rather confused as to how to get the player to change facing direction or move to a specific marker. I bet I'm not the only one who would appreciate some instructions on this for a 2D game :)

Thanks a bunch!

Unity 2018.2.13
AC 1.69.4

Comments

• For that kind of thing, Timeline is better suited to 3D than 2D games.

When using Timeline in 2D, root motion isn't an option - so both position/rotation have to be animated as well as the animation. You can't "instruct" a character to move to a specific Marker like you can with Actions - but instead create an Animation track that manually shifts their position while playing a walking animation.

Feasibly it may be possible to write a Timeline track that animates a 2D character automatically based on their movement vector, but I feel it'd be too cumbersome / specific to be an official inclusion.

The same goes for changing facing direction - you have to manually change the character's sprite animation to show the correct direction animation.

• edited November 2019

Fair enough, I'll dig in to programming my own. I feel that the Timeline is the best approach yet when it comes to keeping multiple animations and sounds etc. in sync, and would love to use it for some of the basic movements as well.

Appreciate the camera track - seems to work like a charm! And just know that at least a few of us are super interested in more AC/Timeline integration should you choose to work more at it :smile:

Thanks!