Forum rules - please read before posting.

Possible to integrate Text Animator Asset with AC?

There's a new Text Animator asset released that adds special effects to TextMesh Pro text:
https://febucci.itch.io/unity-textanimator

I'd love to use this in my game, but I wonder if it's possible/feasible to integrate it with AC. I'm using TextMesh Pro for all my text rendering using the TextMeshProIsPresent scripting define symbol and using TextMesh Pro UGUI components for all text.

The asset itself describes how this can be integrated with third party systems like this:

Once you have found the line of code that sets your dialogue text (like this: textMeshProComponent.text = dialogueText;) , replace it with textAnimatorPlayer.StartShowingText(dialogueText);.

https://www.notion.so/How-to-Integrate-Third-Parties-Dialogue-Systems-3e6a09b1136a4f59954608a68bed579e

How is dialogue text set in Adventure Creator? Where would I start looking if I were to try this?

Comments

• Dialogue text is set in MenuLabel, where the uiText variable has it's .text property set.

AC allows for built-in TextMeshPro support because the way you apply text to it is the same as Unity's own Text component - i.e. just set .text. As this asset relies on a function instead, it's not possible to do the same thing.

You'd have to replace all mentions of uiText with one to a "TextAnimationPlayer" component, wherever that is.

Probably best to continue to link AC up to TMPro, which is hidden off-screen, and then use a script to update the new component with its text, i.e.:

public TextAnimationPlayer textAnimationPlayer;
    public TextMeshProUGUI textMeshProUGUI;

void Update ()
    {
        textAnimationPlayer.StartShowingText (textMeshProUGUI.text);
    }

• Thank you! I have managed to somewhat get this working with your help. I use the hidden TMPro textfield and copy trick, and that seems to work. Still need to get custom speech tokens working, but this is a great start.