Forum rules - please read before posting.

How do I reduce the viewport size and still maintain interactability? Recreating DOS games UIs.

edited February 2020 in Technical Q&A

Howdy!
I'm looking to recreate some old DOS/MSX-esk dungeon crawlers, and a big part of that is putting the viewport into a smaller window and surrounding it with a mostly-useless hud. I've tried altering camera depth and even using render textures on images/planes, but even tho i can get the AC camera object in a small box, It does not maintain intractability for things inside of the box. So my question is how do I get it so that I can make the AC viewport smaller/project it and still allow for point and click interaction of stuff in the box, as well as proximity hotspot interactions when the character is moving around?

I know there's been a couple of posts about this, but results have been a bit scattered and I'm not 100% sure they're about my issue in particular. I'd deeply appreciate it, as i'm really interested in recreating stuff liek The Silver Case, Hotel Dusk, DS games, Dos Interfaces, ect. Stuff that tends to involve smaller displays, sometimes a couple of them.

Comments

• AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    It's the Overlay option under Camera Action: Split Screen. I just assign the camera to start up the overlay at start, with the under being a camera pointing into a void and the over being the actual game camera. It was right there the whole tiiiime.
    In my defense, "Split Screen" soooounds like it woudln't have that feature, but also i probably shoulda checked so blaaaah.
    Thanks for having all these bases covered mate, this asset is raaad. :)